kaysadeya

Sanyo VCB-3524

I'm currently looking at the Sanyo VCB-3524. It will be for outdoor use, so I'll need to addd a housing and AI lens (probably fixed at 4mm).

Questions:

* Is this a good camera? Anyone with direct experiences?

* What other high-quality options are there in the same price range for an outdoor application?

ive used their 4594 Day night and it is good. That camera you linked is a 1/2 inch, so the lens wont be cheap, 1/2 inch and 1/3 inch really not difference these days, at leastI havent noticed any.

other product would be the GE KTC-540 - same price ...exview also..

The Sanyo is an outstanding camera. I sold hundreds when I had my old distributing company and never had problems with them. If memory serves me that is a 1/2" format camera so make sure you check for lens compatibility. You'll need an auto iris 6mm lens, the 4mm is a 1/3" format size. It is very small so will fit in any standard housing.

I was thinking that a 1/2" would be "better" than a 1/3", such as the VCB-3384 (hey, I'm an American ). Assuming I can find a decent lens, would a basic 1/2" camera have better performace (e.g., resolution, contrast, low-light image) than a 1/3" camera?

one would think so ... but not that I have seen, but, like AV said the Sanyo is a great camera ..and Ill vouch for their vandal proof domes and their day night also ....its up to you,you wont go wrong with the sanyo though ..

rory

PS. I used Sanyo's 1/3rd inch Day Night over another brands 1/2 inch for an Infrared app after the 1/2 inch cam went bad ....and the Sanyo is still working to this day .. almost 4 years later. You may have seen it posted in this forum before under day night or Infrared cameras ... driveway infrared camera .. and the 1/3rd inch was better than the 1/2 inch .. new technology makes a huge difference ...

kaysadeya,

The VCB 3512 / 3524 cameras are very good overall, although in comparative tests, I used to prefer the 1/3" VCB 3372 (3374) in terms of overall performance. That said, I've only used the 12v CCIR versions, which may differ from the EIAJ versions you'd use stateside.

Last I heard, the VCB 35** were being discontinued, so if the 3384 is a replacement for the 3374, I'd be inclined to suggest you go for that one. Whilst it is a 1/3" camera, try and use a 1/2" (or 2/3") format lens then you'll get the best out of the camera.

As rory said, the VCC 4592 / 4594 Day Night model is a really nice camera, but a lot more pricey.

Interestingly enough, I had a sneak preview of a new Sanyo model last week, with menu selectable Wide Dynamic function. Not sure when it's due out though.

Thanks Cooperman,

I saw your earlier posts about len sizing. I'm looking for a DC-powered AI lens. My application would call for a focal length of around 5mm (at least with a 1/3 lens), so I'm not sure how that would translate to 1/2. I've noticed that the varifocal lenses are more-or-less the same price as a fixed focal lens, so I'd probably be looking for something in the neighborhood of a 2.8 - 12mm (again, I don't know how that would translate to 1/2")..

Do you have any specific recommendations for a CS mount 1/2" AI varifocal? Will consider getting an adapter for a C-mount lens.

kaysadeya,

AVCONSULTING has suggested a very usable Computar optic.

In the past, my personal preference has always been for Pentax, Canon, Fujinon in that order, and I rarely if ever consider varifocals, simply because I'm much happier using fixed focal length lenses, and getting the best optical performance from them.

I've absolutely nothing against anyone using varifocals if it makes life easier for them, but it's just not the way I tend to do things.

If you need the equivalent of a 5mm focal length lens on a 1/3" imager, then it doesn't matter what format the lens is (e.g. 1/3", 1/2" 2/3" etc.), provided it is built for the same or larger format .

The larger the format lens, then generally the better the optical quality when used on a smaller format imager ( if you were to consider a fixed lens, the 4.8mm 2/3" lens, or 6mm 1/2" lens would be the nearest fixed focal lengths to what you suggested. From experience, I would have said the 6mm C mount is a better bet, if you can get away with the slightly narrower coverage).

Put simply, using a 1" format (C mount) lens on a good 1/3" format camera, will overall give the best optical quality.

Should you decide to use a C mount lens, Sanyo normally provide a 5mm spacer ring with their cameras to allow it to work on the CS mount.

It's been a bit of a long day, so I hope this all makes sense