Sign in to follow this  
Ghodula

In car CCTV

Hi new here and am trying to piece together a recording kit for my car. Dont know why really, thought it would come in handy one day for insurance, showing off to mates, spotting aliens etc.

I can't get my head around the spec of a system like this henrys.co.uk/cctv/mobiledigitalvideorecorder.htm

seems to have a pap fps when using all 4 cams but that aside the res is stated as being 720x576, which is the highest I can find and sounds good. When DVR's quote this res does it mean each camera will record at this resolution or is that the total res of a full screen showing all four cameras on it?

I want an in car system that will record each camera at 720x576 at 25fps is this a big ask?

Looking on fleabay there are a few land based units that run off 12v dc, any issues wiring one into a car?

Thanks for any help

You may want to consider a laptop drive in lieu of a standard desktop drive for your

DVR unless you like buying new hard drives after head crashes. Power consumption may

be an issue if you leave the system running more than 24 hours without driving the car.

(Typical 40W power dissipation for the system?)

You may want to leave camera installation to a professional alarm or stereo installer

unless you want your ride to look like a junkmobile. You want it to look factory,

so it's not just a question of electronics experience and patience. You'll want to

bolt the DVR down in the trunk--not sure whether ventilation will be a big issue.

Honestly, for a vehicle, a better solution might be some sort of deer camera--

a motion detector triggered still camera that captures to a memory card. This

has MUCH less power dissipation, and no moving parts. Hence shock to a hard drive,

battery dissipation, and ventilation are all non-issues.