Gizmo

Entry level DVR

Hi all, this is my first post so I'll say Hi to everyone from here!

I have been waiting and waiting to get some basic CCTV monitoring of my home for a while, but a recent surge in local burglaries mean it's time to pull my finger out.

I'm only ever going to need basic equipment, comprising 2 outdoor cameras initially, a dedicated networkable DVR with minimal recording capacity. I will no doubt add 2 more cameras later so a 4-way DVR is what I need but like a true yorkshire man, value for money is key. So far I have been looking at the Silverline 4 Channel 250Gb Networkable DVR but was wondering if anyone had any opinions or alternatives that I could take a look at?

Cheers

You in the UK?

I bought a 8 channel a few weeks ago to replace my old 4ch and so far Im pleased with it.

Especially being able to view online. Now I can keep up with the happenings of my home throughout the day.

You might want to buy a little more than you think you need. Your first CCTV system is like a gateway drug... once you've got it set up, you'll find yourself looking at other places to put cameras, different cameras, you'll want additional recording, and so forth.

The systems really grow on you... that's no joke. I started with a 4-camera embedded system, went to a 9-camera embedded DVR, then added more storage space, different cameras, infrared, then PTZ... now I'm moving toward an entirely IP-based dedicated NVR setup with megapixel. I've done almost all of it myself, and it's been quite an education (not to mention a lot of fun).

And you can't beat the peace of mind. I've caught kids loitering after dark, ringing-and-running on my doorbell, packages dropped off when I'm away from home, etc.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Yeah, am in the UK. Defo gonna go for it but a bit limited on cash. I'm running a single IP camera at the moment and am addicted to checking it from work. As long as the DVR is networkable so I can keep up with my addiction I'll be happy. I guess they are all capable of motion detection alerting with the right cameras? Also probably go for IR cameras but I want to get the DVR first.

Thanks for the replies..