9-6

Enclosure/Mounting for REG-X Camera

We're replacing the existing cameras at the entrance to our community with REG- X cameras so we can catch the miscreants who are damaging our gate. The existing cameras are mounted on a mast at the gate. The plan is to mount the new cameras about three feet above ground about 30 feet north and south of the gate; however, I don't want to leave the cameras vulnerable to vandalism.

Some of the ideas I've had:

Standard camera enclosures are very light weight and can be easily damaged and twisted out of alignment, although they do have the advantage that the cameras can be mounted against the "window" to prevent reflections.

Another option would be to fabricate something like the enclosure made by Calpipe (basically a square stainless steel column with a window). I was thinking about making similar enclosure out of large PVC pipe (think water main), but it would involve making a curved window out of Lexan which could distort the view and it would be a lot of work.

My current best idea is to mount the cameras on a mast six to eight feet above the ground to put them out of reach. If I put them 20 feet away from the vehicle (the "optimum" distance according to the installation manual), the angle to horizontal will only be 20 degrees - well within the specified maximum of 40 degrees. I might put them in a standard enclosure to provide some additional protection.

Has anyone had to deal with a similar situation? Any suggestions?

I take it that this a unsupervised location....You may want to consider mounting a secondary quality cam for dedicated entry/access view and use the Reg-X for LP capture only, by doing this you will have coverage detecting any vandal/trespass activity as wll be able to capture any events if anybody tampers with your Reg-X cams. Ive formed concrete pillars for LP cams faced with pre-cast stone veneer with cut-outs for additional LV lighting, markers or IR lamps depending on the site, just make sure you stub out for cam, wire and service entry - frame in a lockable service door.

Welcome to the forum...

By having the REG-X directly against the glass will still create reflections as the IR and lens are behind the glass. You could remove the glass from the enclosure. Also, depending upon the color of your enclosure, insure the sunshield is black underneath and any surrounding enclosure close to the camera. Any other color will also create IR backwash by reflecting off the light colored surface.

Hate to see you go crazy and find out it does not work especially using a REG-X cam. IR is very critical in providing usable LP images.

Oh and on another note... if by chance you are powering the REG-X with 12VDC, you may want to go to 24VAC as the camera will perform much better at that voltage. I believe they are all dual voltage but check to be sure before going to 24VAC. At least the ones I am familiar with are dual voltage.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

Lolo, yes, this is an unsupervised location. I'll keep your idea about additional area cameras in mind. It would require an additional equipment upgrade which right now would break the bank. But that does bring up another question that I'll pose in a new thread.

Tell me more about your "pillars." We have some contacts for concrete work and can get it done for a reasonable price. Do you pour the base, walls, and top? Where do you locate the access door? How big of an opening do you leave in the side for the camera? Any pictures?

shoreviewsecurity, thanks for the information about the reflections. We are using a 24 volt power supply and I've verified that it's compatible with the REG-X.

Steve

Construct a cage/rebar, its very important to measure out your optimal cam placement layout the detail and required dimensions prior to constucting the form - form a interior pocket/hollow- more than one if you want to add lights or IR- the smaller opening for cam face to traffic and larger square opening in the rear for access panel directly behind the cam use tamper resistant Torx screws into a metal frame (can be made with angle iron set in the pour) - you can cap off your pillar with a decorative top (stone-precast whatever you desire) stub out for electrical before you pour - use conduit - when you box in for the cam face (round cut out) make sure you leave enough wiggle room to make fine adjustments. The work should be constructed with a footing as well be advised that you may have to conform to codes dependent on where you are due to the fact the columns/pillar are within a traffic zone. Some local DOT or AHJ may express concerns on breakaway requirements for such structures, good to check first with your local agency. You can modify this example to your own spec and add precast stone veneer to enhance your construction. Its not that difficult from a construction standpoint, the most labor intensive aspect is the layout - being you will have to temp set-up in D/N keeping tight to your measurements to achieve optimal LP view and follow those specs when you place/pour the structure. Most of my builds are Log/Timber arch gated entrys with cctv and access controls the one I am describeing was a entry for a home with matching pillars I will look to see if I can find some photos...it was many years ago. There are several pre-cast companies as well that have a variety of columns and pillars that can be modified for cams. regards