Alancer

Sanyo VDC-D1584VA or the ICRealtime EL-450?

I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum so I can make the right decision building a system for my house. This would be my first CCTV build and my budget is $4k. I am fairly certain that I am going with a Intellicam DVR JS-8RTA-D1 which is a 8 cam system. I don’t want the hassle of a PC based DVR and can’t afford the more expensive IP based technology.

I am going to place 6 or 7 cameras on the outside of my home. The distant from the house to the street is about 40 feet and the backyard is about the same depending on if the cameras are on the porch or not. The front of the house always has some light because of my front porch light and some of the neighbor’s lights are well. The backyard can be very dark depending on the neighbor’s backyard lights. I have motion sensor lights on the left and right corner in the front of the house. Also there is one in the back covering the porch entrance. The sides of the house have a fence 8 feet from the house. One side is a stockade type of fence and the other (where the problem neighbors are located) is a low chain link. I am most concerned about that side of the house especially at night.

I want to be able to see what is going one at night as well as day. I like the looks of the dome cameras and was thinking of the Sanyo VDC-D1584VA. Maybe this camera would work all the way around but I wonder if they would be good enough at night. Recently, I read a post about a ICRealtime camera (EL-450) and that seems to be a better camera but I can’t find a price on it anywhere.

I need some advice on these two cameras. The Sanyo VDC-D1584VA and the ICRealtime EL-450. I am not sure which one would be best for this application. Since I can’t find any prices on the EL-450 maybe it is too expensive. The Sanyos are $285 and if the EL-450 are much more, I may not be able to afford them.

I am open to suggestions for this entire project since I am new to this technology.

Well, you could not have picked a better minidome for the price... I am not familiar with ICRealtime nor Intellicam product lines and chances are they make some good equipment, but I can vouch for the Sanyo pick that you have.

The only one other minidomes that could complete with this model from Sanyo are more expensive options available from Panasonic, Bosch and few others.

It is very easy to install and comes with some great features as follows:

* Sanyo Outdoor Vandal Proof MiniDome with Shock Resistant housing

* 520 TV Lines DAY/NIGHT of Horizontal Resolution

* Integrated 2.5X Zoom 2.6-6.0mm Varifocal AI lens

* Wide Dynamic Range performance

* 24V AC and 12V DC, Dual Power Operation

* Easy installation, easy adjustment and easy set-up

* Vandal-resistant Dome & Weatherproof design (IP66)

* Built-in Motion Detection and Privacy Masking Functions

* Three years warranty

Street price is under $300... Just make sure you get a decent power supply (I will recommend Altronix 8 position 24VAC model ALTV248) and run CAT5E cables with passive baluns. This way in the future if you want to convert your equipment to IP solution, then the bulk of the work with the cables is already in place.

Spending $4,000 for a complete package is a decent amount to get good quality product. Just insist on the warranty being no less than three years and make sure that supplier is there to help when needed.

Any questions, let us know.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

I can personally vouch for the DVR, good choice. Even though I sell this DVR, it is the DVR of choice for all of our installations. Many DVR's out there and a lot of great ones but you will not be disappointed with the JSD1.

Good luck with your project.

Mike

Thanks for the advice. I have already ordered equipment from one of you and plan to order from the other very soon.