mjunaid4u

Need help choosing ip megapixel or analog.. or mixed..

i am installing a camera system in a gas station well i got time but i wanna make sure i do it right well.. we have 5 mpds.. 2 cash registers and deli is the main thing to cover rest is inside the store and back of the store calculated around 16 camera's would do it from which need 4 high resolution or mega pixel camera.. now the problem im getting in is if i go with ip megapixel they r too expensive plus i have to buy the software i need some help to choose or if there is any way i can mix the analog and megapixel camera... that would help.. and which software i can use if i buy all different companies ip megapixel camera's.. or i have to use a particular software.. any help would be appreciated... my budget is around $4000-$5000 and thats with the computer... and extra hdds...

Does your budget include labor? Your gonna spend around $2000- $3000 on the server. Plus the NVR software at $100- $200 per camera. Cheap analog cameras can be had for $100. Megapixel cameras are going to start at around $600. Plus your going to need DVR cards or video encoders and that is going to be around $1500. Plus wire, power supplies, UPS, housings $500-$1000.

For 16 cameras your in the $10,000-$15000 range without labor for a good system.

And I didn't even get into storage. How log so you want to store the footage?

Does your budget include labor? Your gonna spend around $2000- $3000 on the server. Plus the NVR software at $100- $200 per camera. Cheap analog cameras can be had for $100. Megapixel cameras are going to start at around $600. Plus your going to need DVR cards or video encoders and that is going to be around $1500. Plus wire, power supplies, UPS, housings $500-$1000.

For 16 cameras your in the $10,000-$15000 range without labor for a good system.

thankyou for the quick reply well im gonna do the installaion myself i was planning on getting all 16 ip camera's well i can increase my budget a little i was thinking about four arecont 5 megapixel camera which would cost me around $3400 and then the rest of the 12 would be acti or vivotek 1.3 megapixel which run me around $3200 storage would be separate.. i am getting confused here with that acti and vivotek is a good company to go with or no and can i mix these camera's and use the free software provided by acti or vivotek if not which is the other better option i need atleast 4 good quality camera's...

thankyou for the quick reply well im gonna do the installaion myself i was planning on getting all 16 ip camera's well i can increase my budget a little i was thinking about four arecont 5 megapixel camera which would cost me around $3400 and then the rest of the 12 would be acti or vivotek 1.3 megapixel which run me around $3200 storage would be separate.. i am getting confused here with that acti and vivotek is a good company to go with or no and can i mix these camera's and use the free software provided by acti or vivotek if not which is the other better option i need atleast 4 good quality camera's...

I have to agree with thewireguys but seems like you have all the answers, Good luck.

I have to agree with thewireguys but seems like you have all the answers, Good luck.

i am getting confused here with that acti and vivotek is a good company to go with or no and can i mix these camera's and use the free software provided by acti or vivotek if not which is the other better option i need atleast 4 good quality camera's...

i am getting confused here with that acti and vivotek is a good company to go with or no and can i mix these camera's and use the free software provided by acti or vivotek if not which is the other better option i need atleast 4 good quality camera's...

I do not recommend any software from any camera manufactures. If you do keep in mind you can only use cameras from that company and the software usually isn't that good. I think that the NVR software is one of the most important chooses you have to make when designing a IP system. Good software is easy to use. One thing alot of people over look is the time it takes to find and pull recorded footage off a NVR, DVR or VCR. Are you going to record all the time or only on motion? Camera or Server based motion detection is an art not a science if your not using video analytics. Most NVR software can be downloaded for a free trial so I would pick up one IP camera and download some software to test it out. You can run most of the demo software on a old computer laying around to test it out.

I have demoed on our server every major NVR software manufacture out there. I can recommend ipConfigure as the best overall. It's not the cheapest and it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles but it is very easy to use and it has the best none analytic motion detection on the market. If you would like a demo of the software let me know.

The best advice I can give you is go with a professional. We work with this stuff every day and some of us (like myself) day and night. If you us the right software with the right cameras you will have a very good security system that you can rely on for many year. If you don't your going to spend a lot of money on a system that doesn't work.

Thank you

The Wire Guys

Edited by Guest

Don't for get the lens!! Arecont cameras don't come with Lens and good lens (most important part of megapixel cameras) aren't cheap.

Acti, Vivotek and Arecont make good cameras but they would not be my first choice. Mostly because of the warranty. Acti has added a extended warrant you can buy but I don't know about the turn around time.

It is unacceptable to wait 6 weeks if a camera goes bad for a repair or replacement.