WGSPI Man

IP System Fiber design question

I'm in the process of designing an IP system for a multi building application. Each building will be going back to the control room via fiber (Separate network). Each building has about 20 cameras, mainly PTZ. How many fiber strands are needed for this? Is there a such animal as a simplified calculator?

Thanks.

I'm in the process of designing an IP system for a multi building application. Each building will be going back to the control room via fiber (Separate network). Each building has about 20 cameras, mainly PTZ. How many fiber strands are needed for this? Is there a such animal as a simplified calculator?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Fiber can carry huge amounts of bandwidth. So the simple answer would be 1 per building.

If you find you need even more, there is always CWDM/DWDM to inscrease your bandwidth by using different wavelengths. Again, this only requires 1 (TX/RX) fiber pair.

Of course good fiber planning is to always have spares and divergent routes.

I agree with ver2go. Generally speaking, 1 fiber run is more than enough for 20 cameras.

For 20 cameras, you could use something like a Cisco 3560E-24PD which offers PoE on every port and 2x 10 Gigabit uplinks (realized only when using SFPs). You'll be looking somewhere south of $5,000 for the switch itself, without SFPs.