ackray

Moving Pelco DX8000 from port 80

New to the Pelco line and am setting up some of this old equipment for a client.

Today's task involves getting the web interface through our LAN routers. So since the router will not let me reassign port FWD to 80 I need to move the Pelco's web interface from 80 to another port like 8282. Couldn't find it in the manual however.

Thanks!

Ackray,

Can't help you with Pelco but.....

Not sure what your level of experience is with routers so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious. A majority of routers will be able to forward port 80 to any IP on your LAN subnet. There might be a couple of reasons why you can't reasign port 80 FWD.

1. Port 80 is already assigned to port forwarding and you must first delete that forwarding Rule then create a new one rather than just edit the old one.

2. Port 80 forwarding is assigned to the remote administratation interface, usually defined in the Admin section of the router software. So you would have to change the external port for router admin then create the new port forwarding rule. You might have to reboot after changing the admin remote interface IP address before you can create the new rule.

Hope this helps.

Steve

^^^ Thanks SteveFD

In this case it seems to be a limitation in the Linksys 310N router. Even though I am forwarding from say 8080 to 80, trying to set up a second fwd from say 8081 to 80 will not be accepted by the router.

I was hoping there was a setting that I've missed in the Pelco to move administration off of 80.

Looks like I'll be using a different router in this case.

Are you trying to forward two separate outside ports to port 80 on the same inside IP? No router will support that.

the LAN is actually double NAT.

Once we VPN into the top level LAN Port Fwd is used via the 2nd router's IP to hit devices in that network.

Since Pelco has trouble with the web browser control and the control ports, 9002,9003,9005 i am trying to keep it all default.

However there are also Switches in that LAN that I wanted to control on 80.

Now I set up standard port fwd rules IE 8080 > 80 but I wanted to be able to move the Pelco off of 80 if I needed to.

Pelco Tech however says that it is a bad idea to try and move the DX from 80.

Soundy is correct. It looks like you are trying to port forward to a single IP in this case the 2nd (internal) routers WAN IP which is not supported.

One way I can think of is to add a switch (unless existing router has this built in) and 2 more routers, one to forward 80 to 80 for switch management and one to forward 8080 to 80 for Pelco.

or

Can the switch management IP be changed to a different port than 80?

Steve

Can the switch management IP be changed to a different port than 80?

That is what I eventually did.

However in this case the problem in getting the web interface to work was a result of the double NAT.

In the pelco software when you set up a site it is based on the IP. So when I set up and named the test site on the office LAN at 192.168.1.200 that site will only appear when on that LAN segment.

I had to set up a different site using the port forwarding target in the VPN LAN at 10..10.1.254:8385 in the web app. At that point it went right through.