fas

Best Way to Output Video For Live Viewing

I will be setting up a 32-cam system with the new v8.3 software. I will be using 2 gv-1480 cards. I would like to set up 2 32" lcd monitors and connect the composite video out on the 1480 card to the 32" lcd monitor. This way I will have 16 cams on one monitor, and 16 cams on another. Is this the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do? Is there a better way, or a way that will produce a "better" picture? Thanks.

I recently setup a couple of 1480 cards (in two separate machines) in exactly this fashion. Actually I took the composite video via baluns and Cat5 to a reception desk about 100 feet from the DVRs. There I ran the composite video feeds through two separate Avermedia TV2VGA boxes and thence into standard 19 inch VGA monitors. Together with the monitors I used the Geo Keyboard connected via RS485 back to the DVRs. Works great, but...

The composite video feed from the 1480 cards cannot show camera IDs and labels (regardless of VGA Overlay settings on the DVRs). Also, when you press the 'Menu' button on the Geo Keyboard - the overlaid menu will only show up on the local DVR monitors - not on the composite video outputs. Fine if you don't need full control of the DVRs via the keyboard beyond switching camera views and controlling PTZs.

Go with a dual output Video Card and hook both of the monitors up via DVI or HDMI (Or even VGA). This will give a nice picture on both LCD's and you could control what is on each screen, playback, IP Matrix, etc...

Unless these two screens are going to be located far away and will ONLY be for live viewing, then I'd use composite.

I view the composite output on a dedicated cctv monitor, old style CRT which has a couple of BNC inputs (switchable) so I can select which DVR output I wish to view.

I find CRT gives a much nicer picture than modern tft screens for analogue cctv. Only problem is the monitor is pretty big!