cheekygemma

i need help picking a cctv system

I have recently moved house and after a couple of incidents i have come to the conclusion that i need a cctv system putting up to view the outside of my property, i have a limited budget and probably need 2 or 3 cameras can anyone help as to the best systems? do i need a hardrive or will a monitor be ok, i am totally ignorant in thies subject so any help would be gratefully recieved

Thanks Gemma

do i need a hardrive or will a monitor be ok,

You will want a DVR to record what happens most likely. If the budget is tight but it would really help to just be able to see what is going on outside you can probably just run a camera from outside to your TV.

So it all depends what you want to accomplish with the cameras.

I want them to be more of a deterant than anything else but it would be handy if i could identify people from them, if i went away for a few days it would be nice to knoiw that when i came back if anything had happened i would be able to see who had done it

Cool. Cameras are great! but the best deterrent I have found in residential settings are motion lights. With cameras I can put a hoodie and sunglasses on and unless you know me I will be unidentifiable. When motion lights come on I don't really know if I have attracted attention or not.

I use to be a licensed repossessor. Even though I was acting within the law it always worked out better if I got in, and got out without being confronted (by either the debtor or law enforcement). In 3 years I never was "caught" by cctv. But those pesky motion lights popping on got the cops called on me many, many times.

Ideally you would have both. If you can post pictures of what you are trying to cover perhaps someone here can suggest a camera.

Thanks for your help scott, camera is on the blink at the moment so pictures are a little tricky.

Ideally i would cover the front area of my house catching the parked cars on the road it is about 8metres from house to road. then in the back garden i want something just covering the back doors and path round the house, i have also thought about getting security lights with motion sensors so now i will definately get some of them.

Thanks

The good news is 8 meters is pretty close. And glad to hear you will install motion lights. I'm not sure how tight or wide a shot you are looking to get at 8 meters, but you can probably get just the shot you are looking for with a 1/3" CCD sensor camera with a 2.6-9mm verifocal lens.

You might want to check out AVTech DVR's. About as affordable as they get and lots of guys around this site are familiar with them. They aren't without their faults. So figure out what features mean the most to you and then read these forums to see which DVR's are having problems delivering those features.

i would recommend in installing cameras without a DVR unless you are willing to sit there and monitor a screen all day. many modern dvrs can send a jpeg to a mobile phone if motion is detected on any of the cameras. if you have a camera inside your home and your system sends an image to your phone..you have enough information to be able to contact the police.

depending where you are, you should be able to have a basic system installed for under $3000 which would include 4 cameras and a dvr.