rvd_mark

Newbie IR Camera question

Hey Guys, i've been browsing the forum and appreciate the wealth of info you guys share here.

I'm in the process of building a system for a friend of mine. He has a doctors office and I normally take care of his server and P.C's. He needs 2 outdoor IR camera's to cover a 25 by 75 lot he uses in the back of his office. I was looking at superc!rcu!ts and saw the following IR camera model - PC177IRHR-6

1/3" Sony CCD chipset provides 480 lines of resolution - 6mm lense

240 ft IR range

Built-in IR on/off control

Weatherproof case IP66 rated

I'll be pairing the above with 2 dome ir camera's(superc!rcu!ts) for the front of his location. Dimensions for the front of the office is 25 by 75.

Dome Camera's - Sharp chipsets produce 520 lines resolution and 0 lux

Dome camera has a 4-9mm varifocal lens with a 45 degree FOV

The DVR i chose is DMR31DVD with network connection. As for the wiring i took scorpion's advise on getting 95% cooper cabling.

With the above camera's and dvr do you guys think this a good setup for good picture quality. Also any use any of these camera's on Install's before.

BTW, i'll be using a Vizio 26" TV for the display. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

He needs 2 outdoor IR camera's to cover a 25 by 75 lot he uses in the back of his office. I was looking at superc!rcu!ts and saw the following IR camera model - PC177IRHR-6

1/3" Sony CCD chipset provides 480 lines of resolution - 6mm lense

240 ft IR range

Built-in IR on/off control

Weatherproof case IP66 rated

I've always associated supercircuits with being lower end on the quality scale. But I really have no experience with their products. I am suspicious of the spec saying 240' IR range. I see there are a ton of LED's on that camera but 240' is a claim I would have to see to believe. Besides, you can have too much IR just as you can have too little. 240' of IR is probably more then you want to squeeze into a 75' area. And we can't tell if 6mm lens is right without more info like how far the camera will be from the 25' X 75' area.

And what do you want to see? If you want to see faces and license plates you will probably need better cameras and more of them. If you just want to see the white pickup backing into the little red car then you are on the right track.

Thanks for the Tips C7 in CA.

As for the parking lot situation, i think he just wants to see a general view of the lot. Is there any IR camera's you would suggest for this type of install. Oh, he does want a fairly large camera(physical size) so people can actually the camera's. Thanks

If your physician friend wants visible cameras, see if you can talk him into some fixed vandal-proof domes. They'll be visible that way, but more resistant to some of the vandalism that visible cameras occasionally attract. Visible cameras are great deterrence, but the downside of drawing attention is that some people will try to screw with your hardware. Bullet cameras are cheap, but you can see which direction they're looking, they're easy to divert to a non-functional view (just turn it to face the wall), and integrated IR attracts bugs, effectively screwing up any motion detection you might want to use.

I did the integrated-IR-bullet route initially, but subsequently converted to domes with separate illuminators. I'm much happier with what I have now.

Here is a picture with an integrated-IR dome... note the hot-spot in the center:

110542_1.jpg

Here is a picture with a regular Honeywell dome, and the illumination provided by a separate illuminator:

101552_2.jpg

Here's what the install looks like in the daytime:

101552_1.jpg

You're generally much better off going with dome cameras and separate illuminators, preferably conventional, flood lights. Visible light gives higher-quality pictures compared to IR, and they're in color, which aids in identifying trouble-makers, colors of vehicles, etc. If you're going for face-shots of people, you're going to need something much closer than a parking-lot view; perhaps a camera over the front door.