jclick

How do you get paid for travel?

For all of the techs out there, how do you get paid to travel to service/job sites? I'm not talking about "out of town" travel but in town travel.

I service and install access control/CCTV for a company and most of the time, I do not go to the office. I travel from my house to my first call, and back to my house from my last call. In one company that I worked for, travel was considered from the office to the job site. If it was a shorter distance from your house to the job site, you were paid for that time. If it was shorter from the office to the job site than from your home to the job site, you got paid the office to the site time. The company I work for now considers the city that it resides in to be a "no travel" zone in which if I leave my house and go to the first call, my time doesn't start until I'm on site.

Which of the above are typical or is there another scenario that would be typical? The company I work for is just "starting out" so there are no policies "set in stone" yet... basically just policies carried over from other companies that the owners have worked at in the past. Thanks.

My opinion is that if you live in a city big enough that it makes a difference then the day should start and end at the office.

on the employee side;

- company owned vehicle....hourly rate

- employee owned vehicle.......by the mile plus hourly

clients pay a flat "Service call Fee"