Jim Barrett

Kudos for Scorpion

Good Day to everyone.

Several weeks ago I had a few requests for lower end DVR applications and I had no equipment I felt comfortable recommending. Since I had been following your discussions, I PMd Scorpion & asked him some questions which he quite graciously answered and steered me to a distributor who has turned out to be what I needed.

I recently bought a Nubix 4ST (Scorpion, can you tell us what AV model that equates to?) on spec & have just set it up.

The machine, when operating as required is sweet. It does what I want it to do & for it's price it does it quite commendably.

Documentation Sucks. Out loud.

Now that I've figured out how to use the device I will have to create real instruction sheets so that the people I sell it to can operate it. It is not intuitive. It would also appear that that there are things that can only be done in the supplied application, not at the front panel and not via IE. To the best of my knowledge you can not set the device into HDD overwrite at the front panel & you had better know where that control is in the app.

I did forum searches on internet set-up & found some of Scorpions past posts & resources & found pertinent information.

That said, no one was more surprised than me when I finally made it work via internet. But that seems the norm for all of these things. I've probably installed a couple of dozen DVRs now with internet access and was wondering if the rest of you find it a puzzling as I do. First off, i've done IDviews, ATV, Pelco, Speco & an endless variety of no-names and when coupled with an equally endless assortment of routers and cable/DSL modems and their individual quirks, no job ever seems straight forward. This seems to be the epitome of plug & pray.

And it all seems to center around the dyndns & the contortions inherent therein.

Has anybody ever developed a checklist type form to try and minimize these problems? I find that simply keeping track of all the IP addresses and where they go and keeping track of what I already tried that didn't work involves that high-tech combination of yellow pad and pencil.

Oh well, if it was easy anybody could do it.

Anyway, thanks Scorpion, I appreciate your willingness to lend your expertise to this forum & am sure others do also. Joey at Eclipse thinks highly of you. It seems he tries to do his best for his customers.

Jim

I recently bought a Nubix 4ST (Scorpion, can you tell us what AV model that equates to?) on spec & have just set it up.

The AVC 760A

Documentation Sucks. Out loud.

Welcome to my world!

Now that I've figured out how to use the device I will have to create real instruction sheets so that the people I sell it to can operate it. It is not intuitive. It would also appear that that there are things that can only be done in the supplied application, not at the front panel and not via IE.

Can I get a copy?

To the best of my knowledge you can not set the device into HDD overwrite at the front panel & you had better know where that control is in the app.

I believe it is in overwrite mode right out of the box.

This seems to be the epitome of plug & pray.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Well said!

Anyway, thanks Scorpion, I appreciate your willingness to lend your expertise to this forum & am sure others do also.

Thank you for the praise! I am glad I can allow others to take a short cut through fog.

Joey at Eclipse thinks highly of you. It seems he tries to do his best for his customers.

He has been a great help to me in return!

I am still working on the FTP issue, and I have been having problems with audio over the internet.

I have given up on a cell phone for remote viewing!

The new H.264 has a cell phone viewer beta. Now I just gotta figure out who it is that I can bribe so that I can get a copy someday!

Take care everyone!

Thank you!

I am hoping my wife will not see this post. I can hear her now about "how my head will not fit throught the door", or something to the effect! LOL!

Hey shoreviewsecurity,

I have seen your posts, and you have placed some super ones yourself!

We appreciate your help!

Hey Jim,

Do you have a website?

Good grief!!! Has any one seen the new blimp in Florida? oh wait that was Scorpion's head!!!!! We will never be able to put up with him on his trips to Kentucky now!!!! Congrats on the praise Scorpion, you do us all proud on your posts.