I hope someone can help me with an job I have that involves 1 camera (probably an extreme cctv WZ20) installed outside with a cable run that is 900 ft aprox form the DVR. I'm not sure what the best way to go is.

1. RG59-18/2 Siamese cable

2. RG59 with seperate Power cable

3. RG6-18/2 Siamese cable

4. RG6 with seperate power cable

5. Video/power Baluns over cat5 OSP cable

6. Video Baluns with seperate power cable

Also the camera has a power requirement of 8 watts@24Vac. I called tech support and they said no more than 2 volts drop.

is there an outdoor rated rg59 siamese or rg6 siamese? Do I need to run a power cable larger than #18? What should I look for in the specs of the rg cable?

Thanks for any help you can give.

For that distance, your power cable should be at least 16 gauge.

900 feet is borderline too far for RG-59. You should use either RG-6 or twisted-pair for the video.

You'll probably have to get separate cables for power and video because I doubt anyone makes RG-6/16-2 or CAT-5/16-2 outdoor rated cable. At least I can't find a source. Indoor rated in those combinations are available; just not outdoor.

Ok so RG6 or CAT5 OSP wire. So far for ease of install I would prefer to run RG6 with a seperate power cable (probably a 14/2). But I am confused on the specs I've read about on the web. Should it be a copper core with a copper sheild of 95% etc... And who manufactures such a cable rated for outdoors with part numbers if anyone has them. Thanks

Ok so RG6 or CAT5 OSP wire. So far for ease of install I would prefer to run RG6 with a seperate power cable (probably a 14/2). But I am confused on the specs I've read about on the web. Should it be a copper core with a copper sheild of 95% etc... And who manufactures such a cable rated for outdoors with part numbers if anyone has them. Thanks

Check the Belden catalogue online. Yes, copper inner/copper shield with minimum 95% braid coverage (prefer 100% over that distance). Personally I'd run fibre over that distance (in fact, I have on several installations); the cost of fibre (at least where I live) is comparable with the cost of copper cable and has a number of advantages such as full galvanic isolation (so no earth loop problems when the camera power source is different from the controller power source), no isolation issues if you have to run close to electrical cables/services e.g. shared conduit, no electrical interference etc. OK, so you need a media converter/fibre modem at each end which adds a little to the cost but in the long run I find it to be worth spending the money.

OK, so you need a media converter/fibre modem at each end which adds a little to the cost but in the long run I find it to be worth spending the money.

How little?

900 feet is borderline too far for RG-59. You should use either RG-6 or twisted-pair for the video.

You'll probably have to get separate cables for power and video because I doubt anyone makes RG-6/16-2 or CAT-5/16-2 outdoor rated cable. At least I can't find a source. Indoor rated in those combinations are available; just not outdoor.

With coax as a rule of thumb, you should plan for no more than 6dB loss (at 5MHz) for CCTV video.

Good quality RG59 has a loss of 2.25dB per 100m.

To get to the 900 feet range you could use RG11 (1.4dB) or CT125 (1.1dB).

You could use RG59 with launch amplifiers and line correctors.

Gel filled telephone Twisted pair cable with launch amplifiers and line correctors as well with with the additional benifit of lower cable costs!

In the end multimode fibre would be the best solution.

In the UK we can purchase outdoor and multicore duct grade CAT5E.

I think steel wired armoured version of CAT5E can also be sourced, but is not often used due to the cost.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

With coax as a rule of thumb, you should plan for no more than 6dB loss (at 5MHz) for CCTV video.

Gel filled telephone Twisted pair cable with launch amplifiers and line correctors as well with with the additional benifit of lower cable costs!

I think steel wired armoured version of CAT5E can also be sourced, but is not often used due to the cost.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Hope this helps

Ilkie

I hope someone can help me with an job I have that involves 1 camera (probably an extreme cctv WZ20) installed outside with a cable run that is 900 ft aprox form the DVR. I'm not sure what the best way to go is.

1. RG59-18/2 Siamese cable

2. RG59 with seperate Power cable

3. RG6-18/2 Siamese cable

4. RG6 with seperate power cable

5. Video/power Baluns over cat5 OSP cable

6. Video Baluns with seperate power cable

Also the camera has a power requirement of 8 watts@24Vac. I called tech support and they said no more than 2 volts drop.

is there an outdoor rated rg59 siamese or rg6 siamese? Do I need to run a power cable larger than #18? What should I look for in the specs of the rg cable?

Thanks for any help you can give.

i have used these a couple of times and are alot cheaper than fiber. also with the kit you get a power unit. it is good for 500m on coax manufatura says more but i would stick to 500m as max range

http://biwave89.myweb.hinet.net/product/product01.htm

silly question time....

your typical cctv signal is 1v p-p, why not do what audio guys do and run 4v p-p ??

used to have audio gear with variable output as some gear was 1v, 2v or 4v.

silly question time....

your typical cctv signal is 1v p-p, why not do what audio guys do and run 4v p-p ??

used to have audio gear with variable output as some gear was 1v, 2v or 4v.

This is not such a silly question.

We used to do this (ie launch at more than 1v p-p) but you need to look at the video signal at the receive end to ensure that the resulting video is correct.

Analogue video does not loose signal level equally across the frequency range.

The higher frequencies tend to go first and this is where the picture detail is.

This results in a wishy washy picture..

So you need a device to measure and then correct this inbalance.

Regards

Ilkie

Happy Holidays Ilker,

900 ft? RG11? Most cable manufacturers say 750' to 1000' for RG59 and 1,500' for RG6. Methinks you are being a bit over-conservative. RG11 is darned expensive and imo, overkill. He could also look at a cable compensating video amplifier but they also tend to emphasize the noise.

Amplifiers aside, the best bet (most cost-effective) is to use RG6 or twisted-pair.

West Penn:

#815 RG59 - 0.68db/100' @ 10MHz

#806 RG6 - 0.52db/100' @ 10MHz

#811 RG11 - 0.35db/100' @ 10MHz

Considering that the spec is at 10MHz, the losses at 5MHz would be somewhat lower. Most analog CCTV has the lower bandwidth.

Happy Holidays Ilker,

900 ft? RG11? Most cable manufacturers say 750' for RG59 and 1,500' for RG6. Methinks you are being a bit over-conservative. RG11 is darned expensive and imo, overkill. He could also look at a cable compensating video amplifier but they also tend to emphasize the noise.

Amplifiers aside, the best bet (most cost-effective) is to use RG6 or twisted-pair.

- Carl

Thanks for your good wishes Carl, I hope you and your family have a peaceful and healthy new year.

I see installers who say that they can get a picture on RG59 well in excess of 1,000' and they are correct, they do see a picture, but one totally missing in details (due to high frequency loss).

These figures are taken from a good quality coax manufacturer (Volex/Radex).

URM70 3.31dB

RG59 2.25dB

RG6 1.91dB

RG11 1.4d

CT125 1.1dB

All the above figures are loss at 5MHz per 100 meters

Working on these figures and accepting the maximum acceptable design loss as being 6dB the maximum run for these cameras would be

URM70 181m (594’)

RG59 266m (872’)

RG6 314m (1,030’)

RG11 428m (1,404’)

CT125 545m (1,788’)

Now the above figure is for brand new cable installed perfectly.

Losses due to end connectors, joins, splices, tight bends, crushing and aging have not been taken into account.

Allow 10% for aging and you can see that RG6 may only just make the grade.

I agree that RG11 is expensive and that twisted pair may be cheaper, but the circuit still needs to be set up properly with the correct test kit. This set up needs to be checked on an annual basis for changes as the cable deteriorates due to UV, damp etc

The cost of fibre has dramatically fallen over the years and does away with problems of earth differentials etc that may occur.

Regards

Ilkie