acableconnection

what do you use to tune your cameras dvd player, etc?

after dropping my last two dvd players, I might try something else.

The dvd player is nice, with its batter and all.

I did see a backup camera screen at sams club for $100. Not sure about hooking up a batter to it though.

not sure what the question is, what are you using the dvd player for, is it a dvd burner for recording the video? how are you dropping it? or is it a portable dvd you are using for the screen to see the cameras with?

I use ToteVision LCD-410 with tote bag (TB-410) Although if you are using it outdoors on a sunny day, its a little hard to see. You have to bury your face in the sun shield.

The service monitors that are rough and what not are like 250-300 bux. I'm thinking of getting a portable dvd player for input for tuning my cameras. I've seen phillips dvd players not working after a short while. Anyone else with more ideas on what they use in the field???????

My buddy is using an Archos - 5" HD-res screen makes for really crisp video and easy focusing (standard portable DVDs are generally "half-res"). He has a wrist strap for it, and of course, it can record video clips for future reference.

My buddy is using an Archos - 5" HD-res screen makes for really crisp video and easy focusing (standard portable DVDs are generally "half-res"). He has a wrist strap for it, and of course, it can record video clips for future reference.

wait the small computer thing here:

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html?country=ru&lang=en

Does he have the Archos 5 or what version. I mean for that price you dont think I should grab a portable service monitor with bnc input?

wait the small computer thing here:

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_5/specs.html?country=ru&lang=en

Does he have the Archos 5 or what version. I mean for that price you dont think I should grab a portable service monitor with bnc input?

Yeah, I think it's the Archos 5.

Depends... if ALL you want is a service monitor... or a loaded-to-the-tits media player with WiFi and recording capability (you could also load up AVIs of various test patterns and use it as a signal source).

I think im going to grab a sony 8" portable dvd player and create a gnarly wrist strap for it. I cant figure spending 3 times as much for the features the archos has, with a 3" smaller screen. Anyone else wanna chime in before the purchase? I wouldnt mind using the 6hr portable player on trips as well. I heard bad things about phillips so I think sony is going to win it

Well, again, the Archos is a high-res screen (the 5 and 7 are 800x480) whereas your typical "cheap" (sub-$200) portable DVD is typically far less (my old 7" DVD's LCD was 480x234, according to its spec sheet). Four times the resolution makes for a WAY sharper picture, which makes for way easier focusing, even if the screen is a little smaller.

And if you're using it for a portable movie player, remember that devices like the Archos have built-in hard drives - the 5 can be had with anything from a 60GB to a 250GB drive. 60GB will hold on the order of 80 movies in DivX format. And again, it can record the camera signal, which is something a DVD player can't do (it can be handy to have for future reference).

Like I said, you have to keep in mind that an Archos isn't JUST a field monitor or media player; it's a small computer: it has WiFi and a browser, which along with a cheap WiFi router is very handy for setting up IP cameras (no need to lug a laptop). It also has PDF capability, which allows you to carry most of your manuals and other handy documentation on it as well. It does far more than your typical field monitor AND portable DVD player combined.

Something to keep in mind when comparing overall prices...