marshallvp

dm ds2 hard drive replacement.....help

hello ,

im hopeing a tech can help me i have read thru the forums and have tryed a few things mentioned.

i have ds2 3.1 031-net dvtu....i have had a storage hard drive failure and wanted to install a 500gb hard drive... the hard drive i have is a western digital wd5000aakb pata / 16 mb cache.

i know i need to update firmware but i was hopeing to do this as i install this drive as a primary... i have seen a few post about being pmed a technical data sheet with information on how to do this.

my attempts have resulted in wrong formate fat32 version error that ive commonly seen posted on the threads here......

i used a 3rd party formater as described in the forums but i dont think i did the dm download correctly as far as file extraction to the drive is concerned. im hopeing someone is willing to give me a walk thru to this as my efforts have not yelded the results ive seen possable on the threads

thanks in advance

if you go to cocoontech dot com and search for 'eco4 hard drive replace' it's got a step by step process. (or google search, it's the first result)

i did it myself and it's not too difficult.

remove hard drive from DM, and plug it into a desktop, use a 3rd party utility to format it as fat32 (since windows won't do anything above 32gb) .. then place the zip file (or 2 files from the download) from dedicated micros onto the drive. Don't UNZIP it, the DM Sprite 2 unit will do that and setup the files / directories.

it should boot up after that.. also make sure you have the jumper set to MASTER or SLAVE on the correct hard drive (though i'm guessing it's the master drive you're swapping out, so set it to master), having it as CABLE SELECT will cause that error you're getting as well..

if all else fails (as it did with me) return the hard drive and get one with a 8mb buffer.. DM units are notoriously picky as mine wouldn't work with a newer drive with 16mb, but worked with an older 120gb drive i had laying around with a 8mb buffer.. my solution was to just buy dual 320gb drives with 8mb buffers, since they're not as hard to find as a 500gb one, and not much of a trade off since you're losing a lot of the storage space of the 500gb one from having to use it as fat32..

hope this helps!

Does anybody know how to reset the password and replace the hard drive on on the new Dedicated Micros DS2 DVR's.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Sean

hi all,

ive needed to upgrade the ds2 drive and followed the instructions in this forum. the frist problem i had was the wrong download, downloaded the correct one now and i get the message,

'halted at bootloader'

im guessing there is some thing ive done wrong with the files,

ps does the drive have to be lettered, ie mine is g ?

thanks