dvrtiger

Intellex 2.4 problems

Hi,

I'm new on this forum but I'd like to ask some questions about problems with my Intellex unit v2.4 premier. I got this unit for repair after a power surge so I had to replace power supply, hard drives and VACD card. All other components were tested and showed ok. After this hardware repairs, the unit was recovered with version 2.5.9 as suggested from american dynamics tech support. After recovery process was finished, I saw that only 8 GB of HD were allocated under win 98. I've tried several HDs and tried to allocate the rest of space using FDISK but it didn't help. Finally, I hooked HD to a pc running win xp so I managed to allocate all the remaining space and to create a storage partition. After that, i hooked it back into the Intellex, started it, and everything worked ok ( DriveConfig recognised this new partition, unit started recording, playback went ok..). But, after I have restarted the unit, Intellex software wrote back a message in which it stated that storage volume couldn't be initialized. When I went to My computer, this drive was marked as 'excluded'. I've tried several HDs but the problem persists-on the first run every time everything works fine, but after restart, storage drives are corrupted. I'm out of ideas, so if someone could help me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I've checked it, on the first run it was active, but later, after restart, it was set as non-active, fault and non-intellex data. And that problem persists, no mater which hard drive I insert, on the first run everything is ok, but after restart this happens.

Yes, I've checked it, on the first run it was active, but later, after restart, it was set as non-active, fault and non-intellex data. And that problem persists, no mater which hard drive I insert, on the first run everything is ok, but after restart this happens.

You have not mentioned the storage size that you are attempting to use for the Intellex storage...

The system requires 8GB of partition... and the rest could be storage... However... Since you are using Win98 operating system, this OS will recognize what your motherboard will allow and no more than 160GB (with some effort)... and even no more than 60GB if your motherboard will recognition...

What is interesting is that you mentioned that you changed the capture card, the drives, etc... but no mention on the motherboard... However, just remember if you change the motherboard, the chances are good that your Intellex license will stop working...

The original hard drive was 120GB, but before this unit, I had several Intellex versions 2.2 which were recovered with 2.5.9 software. And new HDs on these units were 250GB in size. On this unit, I use HDs 160GB drives as new ones. Motherboard was tested, and it works fine.

But here's a bit better description of my problem, as I've sent it to American dynamics:

'Information about power surge was relayed to me, as the unit was brought to me into our service shop by our field installers. I think that on the location where Intellex was installed there were some problems with faulty protective earth, so I suspect that power surge ( more likely some small potential, because if it was full 230V I think it would be fried beyond repair) could come over the chassis or something like that. I can't tell for sure, I'm unable to go to the location to check power lines, so I'm guessing. I know for sure that there was no UPS or any form of SPD device on sight. Motherboard works fine, as windows runs ok, and intellex software runs ok. If it was damaged, it would be impossible to enter BIOS, or it wouldn't simply start up. Memory modules are also ok, they were tested with mem test +86 software and on another unit. Procesor is ok too.

When I start boot sequence using recovery cd set, no mather do I choose recovery or upgrade, software simply creates only one, primary partition, 8GB big. And that is all I can see under windows, also. When I run FDISK, i can get only one extended partition of about 40 GB. It just doesn't see the full amount of space on hard drive. Even if I hook up a secondary hard drive as a slave, I can't get more than 40Gb either.

But, when I extract hard disk and hook it up on pc running win xp, under manage option, I can see the rest of hard drive and I'm able to allocate all that space for a new partition. Under windows xp, I just create one new partition without formating it because I don't want to use NTFS file system for formatting. After that, I hook this hard drive back into the Intellex, start it up, and under My computer now I can see this new partition as a new drive in full size. Then I simply format it with FAT32, run DriveConfig which finds it. Then I start Intellex software, go to storage and I can see that this volume is active. But, when I restart the whole unit, it tells me that this drive failed to initialize and under storage it is set as non-active, fault, non-intellex data. Under My computer it is set as 'excluded'. And this process repeats after every first run when I hook up new disk, or this same one , after I've created this partition.

And all hard drives were new, straigt from box. I've recovered several units with version 2.5.9 without any problems, so I'm sure that this cd set is ok.'

Any sugestions are wellcome

Let me try it once again... and I think your bottleneck is your motherboard for the starters...

The original hard drive was 120GB, but before this unit, I had several Intellex versions 2.2 which were recovered with 2.5.9 software. And new HDs on these units were 250GB in size. On this unit, I use HDs 160GB drives as new ones. Motherboard was tested, and it works fine.

The main reason of the original 120GB drive was, well, that was one of the highest drive capacities available at that time.. and the second, your motherboard was set to recognize such storage. Dependent which Intel motherboard it came with and which version the BIOS was, you could take it maximum 160GB storage capacity (with some tinkering on Win98 of course), but if your motherboard does not recognize more than 120GB, then you have two choices - first update the BIOS (if possible) latest available firmware (if it is very old, it will be very difficult to find it) or change the motherboard.

But here's a bit better description of my problem, as I've sent it to American dynamics:

'Information about power surge was relayed to me, as the unit was brought to me into our service shop by our field installers. I think that on the location where Intellex was installed there were some problems with faulty protective earth, so I suspect that power surge ( more likely some small potential, because if it was full 230V I think it would be fried beyond repair) could come over the chassis or something like that. I can't tell for sure, I'm unable to go to the location to check power lines, so I'm guessing. I know for sure that there was no UPS or any form of SPD device on sight. Motherboard works fine, as windows runs ok, and intellex software runs ok. If it was damaged, it would be impossible to enter BIOS, or it wouldn't simply start up. Memory modules are also ok, they were tested with mem test +86 software and on another unit. Procesor is ok too.

A lot of good info, however... Since you mention that you were not able to verify the problem being "faulty protective earth", which I can interpret as faulty power or ground potential difference between the neutral port and ground is being higher than normal, this itself could not have caused the problem... The proof is that your motherboard and your proc is still working fine... You can try to change the ribbon cable as an example, which also will cause issues...

When I start boot sequence using recovery cd set, no mather do I choose recovery or upgrade, software simply creates only one, primary partition, 8GB big.

This is a standard practice... First it needs to slice the hard drive 8GB in order to install the OS and Intellex application.

And that is all I can see under windows, also. When I run FDISK, i can get only one extended partition of about 40 GB.

This restriction could be part of the motherboard limitation...

It just doesn't see the full amount of space on hard drive. Even if I hook up a secondary hard drive as a slave, I can't get more than 40Gb either.

But, when I extract hard disk and hook it up on pc running win xp, under manage option, I can see the rest of hard drive and I'm able to allocate all that space for a new partition.

This is normal, as under XP, you can recognize your entire hard drive or combination of drives...

Under windows xp, I just create one new partition without formating it because I don't want to use NTFS file system for formatting. After that, I hook this hard drive back into the Intellex, start it up, and under My computer now I can see this new partition as a new drive in full size. Then I simply format it with FAT32, run DriveConfig which finds it. Then I start Intellex software, go to storage and I can see that this volume is active. But, when I restart the whole unit, it tells me that this drive failed to initialize and under storage it is set as non-active, fault, non-intellex data. Under My computer it is set as 'excluded'. And this process repeats after every first run when I hook up new disk, or this same one , after I've created this partition.

This restriction again is based on your motherboard's inability to recognize higher storage.

And all hard drives were new, straigt from box. I've recovered several units with version 2.5.9 without any problems, so I'm sure that this cd set is ok.'

By repeating what you do will not get you more drive space unless if you change the motherboard... OR - assign external storage using a different computer via LAN, make sure the Intellex recognizes these new drives. Once Intellex can see these drives from a different computer, then perform Drive Config at the desktop or ADD feature of these drives through Intellex software... Either one will work...

Bottom line is that your main problem is your motherboard's limitation in recognizing higher capacity drives.

Hope this helps...

Any sugestions are wellcome

First, CCTV_Suppliers, thanks for your help and time, I appreciate it. I forgot to say that I've also tried a hard drive 80GB in size, but with the same results. I'll try your suggestions about motherboard on Monday when I get to work and I'll write some feedback here. Motherboard is Intel D845 series, I've already found BIOS update but I haven't yet tried it because in it's datasheet there is no mention about fixing any storage issues with latest drivers ( or any newer than original one). But, I'll try it anyway. If it doesn't help, I think it will be difficult to locate the same motherboard ass it's quite old, or at least some motherboard based on that chipset.

Using a newer motherboard will be an issue unless if you can find the Win98 drivers for them.. With little persistency, you should find a new motherboard that is at least few years old... that could give you this option...

I wrote an article about "Ten Do's and Don'ts for Intellex" few months back. One of our main point in this article is that you do not have to use Intel based motherboard for any version Intellex... I do not remember which thread it is in this forum.

We work with majority of major manufacturer DVRs and found many areas that the same manufacturers do not want you to know... and the Intellex is not an exception to this rule...

Give it a try and let us know... I am sure we can get your system up and running as long as you follow basic rules of conduct with this product line. Each DVR from every manufacturer has its limitations and as well as hidden advantages that as long as you know exist, then you can easily help your customer to squeeze every drop of use possible.

I've read your article already I know that motherboard doesn't need to be exactly the same as I have one 3.0 unit in our service shop with ASUS motherboard. I'll try to get some motherboards as fast as I can.

My problem with Intellex units is that I'm new in our firm (only 5 months) and we are the only service shop for them for Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia, and also, I'm the only one assigned for servicing them. The amount of broken units which come into the shop per month is quite big so I had to learn fast, read a lot and learn alone. Not to mention other dvr products which we also get. So I really appreciate any help, such as yours.

My final resort for this unit will be to bring a priest in

This morning I finally managed to resolve my problems with this unit. BIOS was updated with the latest version and after the process the whole disk was visible under BIOS. Then I made partition using Ultimate boot cd on this unit. Now, everything works just fine Thanks for your help and time, it helped a lot!