metafizx

High-end DVRs, are they that much better in pic quality ?

Have wondered if the higher end DVRs have that much better picture quality. Such as: Sanyo, Panasonic, Bosch, ARM and Toshiba.

They are pretty costly compared to the lower end, which is the type of customer I usually get.

of the compression std's that are used, MPEG-4, H.264, and M-JPEG, does the quality of the DVR yield a much clearer recording ?

What am I getting in a higher end DVR to justify $2k-$5k cost ??

(assuming good cameras & lenses).

That really depends on the type of cameras you are using also. The system can only record the "best" quality of video it is given. We personally use Vicon systems, which are Windows XP based, and allow for an amazing amount of support for networking, Video Analitics, etc. We use Everfocus for our lower-end customers and they run about 3k for a decent system. They are Linux OS based, and reliable as a rock. The OS is actually on a chip, so even if the drives die, the system stays "in-Tact". It's really on personal prefrence. At home, I use an older Intellex DVMS system, and it works just fine. Compare a Dodge Neon, to a Viper. Better cards= better frame rate= happy customers.

Cheers

J

H.264 should in theory give better results but that may depend on the actual encoder used. Its advantage of smaller files is nothing special though given that high capacity hard drives are cheap.

I would consider the main features to consider are recorded line resolution and frame rate per camera, as most of the compression standards you mention are adequate for CCTV video. Providing there are no known reliability or ergonomic issues with a cheaper generic model, then I'd just go for the best specification at the price I can afford.

Well, nowadays the new hotness are megapixel cameras. The real trick is storing and sending them. That's where megapixel re-compression comes into play. As far as image quality is concerned, analog doesn't even come close. For instance, a decent analog recorder records in 704x480. It doesn't matter if you have an awesome 600 line camera, or a standard 380 line camera, no matter what you record 337,920 pixels. Now compare that to an entry level 1.3 Million pixel camera. Right out of the box you get 4 times the clarity.

368129457_44096POSHD(Ideal).thumb.jpg.a6253cabb985fd5a40efc7c171f9c747.jpg

yes, I agree. megapixel rocks.

but the problem is the cost for most people, a good quality megapixel is still pricey and then add the software/server cost.

most of my customers won't go for it. they want all for low $. so they get crappy cctv images that you cant see the required detail.