mh13021

Suggested Camera....

For a current project, I am looking to have a camera record a LCD gauge. The camera would be in close proximity of the LCD to capture the output. There will be zero light.

My question to the forum is what camera/lens to use for this. I have tossed around using a LED to "backlight" the LCD. However, I would rather not and hopefully use a recommendation from here.

So in a zero light condition with a near macro setting what camera/lens would be recommended?

Thanks.

- Marty

If light is indeed zero then you will see nothing, LCDs require ambient light to be visible. A backlight will obviously give results although a single LED mounted in front may well be adequate.

If light is indeed zero then you will see nothing, LCDs require ambient light to be visible. A backlight will obviously give results although a single LED mounted in front may well be adequate.

Understood.("If light is indeed zero then you will see nothing...") Makes sense. lol

Any input on what type of lens to use on a close subject(ie:LCD gauge)?

- Marty

When experimenting with CCTV cameras in the past I've found no problem focussing up very close using standard 4-8mm lens, the ability to adjust the back focus (if available) certainly makes it easier with no real need for a macro lens (at least in my uses). I'm assuming that image quality itself isn't that important, just the ability to read the gauge.

BTW, I'm struggling to remember my own results when looking at LCD displays using cameras with infra-red sensitivity but I have a recollection that it can give confusing results (i.e. the opaqueness of the display may differ from that seen with visible light). I'm sure others here will be able to confirm/deny this, but I thought I should mention it anyway.