jclick

Is there such a thing as a "sex nut" wrench?

I was trying to remove an old maglock armature the other day and the sex nut kept spinning not allowing it to be removed. Does anyone have any tricks or maybe a tool to hold the sex nut in place in order to remove it? Some I've pried a screwdriver between the head of the nut and the door to hold it in place. Some I've just had to leave on a door. Thanks in advance!

Other than maybe Vise-Grips (long-nose?), I think the wedged-screwdriver trick is probably the best. All the maglocks I've ever dealt with, the nut and bolt come apart so easily, I can just hold the nut against the door with finger pressure while I undo it - did someone use threadlocker or something on this one?

This usually happens after the lock has been installed for a few years and the corrosion builds up and it's a little too tight for finger pressure... although I did have one on an interior door once that would just spin... I never could get it removed.

Worst case, you could use a hacksaw (CAREFULLY) or Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut a slot in the nut head, and just use a slot screwdriver with it.