EBen63060

Suggestions and assistance please.

I am in the process of starting the installation of my CCTV system and want to be able to access it via the internet and have not been able to find much info on Multiplexers for dummies. This is what I have so far, other than video baluns and cat 5 cable. I also would like opinions on DVR's versus E-PCI cards. Any help or input would be thoroughly appreciated. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money, but I also want high end components.

I almost forgot, the mux I have has a parallel printer port cable connector on one end and serial port connector on the other. Are these still used? Or are they obsolete? Thanks again.

CCTV Components

2 ea RAS917LS PTZ’s With RHODUL

2 ea Panasonic WV-BL204 Cameras

1 ea Panasonic WV-BL104 Camera

1 ea Panasonic WV-CP254H Camera

1 ea VO5B11778 Color Bullet Camera ( Unknown Make )

1 ea ADTTE Enhanced Touch Tracker

1 ea Integral Technologies XMUX II 32 Multiplexer

Also purchased a Rapport337 Product Version 3.1 Firmware 3.8

I am not sure if I posted my original post in the wrong area, or if I am just being shunned because of my profession. I have very limited experience with CCTV and was hoping to get some feedback. If I presented my question or myself in an offensive matter, I do apologize. I was hoping to learn and make a few friends/acquaintances in this forum. Any knowledge I obtain from this site is for personal use and not financial gain.

I am in the process of starting the installation of my CCTV system and want to be able to access it via the internet and have not been able to find much info on Multiplexers for dummies. This is what I have so far, other than video baluns and cat 5 cable. I also would like opinions on DVR's versus E-PCI cards. Any help or input would be thoroughly appreciated. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money, but I also want high end components.

I almost forgot, the mux I have has a parallel printer port cable connector on one end and serial port connector on the other. Are these still used? Or are they obsolete? Thanks again.

CCTV Components

2 ea RAS917LS PTZ’s With RHODUL

2 ea Panasonic WV-BL204 Cameras

1 ea Panasonic WV-BL104 Camera

1 ea Panasonic WV-CP254H Camera

1 ea VO5B11778 Color Bullet Camera ( Unknown Make )

1 ea ADTTE Enhanced Touch Tracker

1 ea Integral Technologies XMUX II 32 Multiplexer

Also purchased a Rapport337 Product Version 3.1 Firmware 3.8

Your post was not offensive.

The person with the perfect answer for you has not logged in to their computer, and they have not seen your post.

Most of us installers, are working more out in the field then we used to, and there is less, and less of us viewing posts. Blame it on the economy!

I did not answer as I do not work with the equipment that you listed.

If you want info on how to connect to the internet then I would plug you to this webpage:

http://scorpiontheater.com/videonetworkingwithavtech.aspx

Give this one time to load:

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Guide_Networking_AVC7XX_Linksys_Info_2A_Line2.pdf

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Guide_Networking_Setup_Linksys.pdf

http://scorpiontheater.com/Documents/AVTech_Guide_Networking_Setup_Dlink.pdf

http://scorpiontheater.com/router.aspx

As for multiplexors I would have you read the product manuals.

I hope that is not too many links for you!

Take care,

Some printers still have connectors for parallel printer hookups. Standard RS-232 serial printing is pretty much obsolete, having been replaced by USB.

I took a quick look at your component list, and a few questions come to mind. The mux you have seems to only operate in conjunction with a Integral capture card, that is what that parallel/serial connector is for. Is that what you are going to use? And the mux provides for analog output viewing points, is that what you need? a little more information about what you are trying to accomplish would be helpful. The question about the DVR and PCI-E is that the capture card in the DVR could be either PCI or PCI-E form factor. PCI-E is the newer card format, and allows higher bandwidth for higher frame rates, but may be of little use unless you need very high capture rates (240 FPS or up). As far as access from the internet, that will be a function of the DVR you choose. Depending on the type of internet connection you have, a DVR supplier that provides dynamic DNS resolution may be helpful. For highest quality recording, make sure the DVR you use records at least 4CIF (640 by 480) or D1, (720 by 480) resolution.

This venture was started by a buddy of mine who had this mux listed on e-bay. He asked me to get the bid started for him and through my ignorance I decided to buy it. He had already sold me the rest of the equipment for an extremely low price. He does some minor repairs on the equipment, but not much set up work. I didn't have a clue as to what a multiplexer was until a few weeks ago. Thanks for your replies so far and Scorpion, I know your pain about the economy. I work at a cedar fence mill and so far we are doing well. Other mills in the area cannot say the same. My father just got here from out east today, but I will be going through the links that were sent to me ASAP.

Hardwire, my PC is PCI-E and I think it would be to my advantage to use it in lieu of a DVR, but haven't found enough info yet to know better, I know cards are spendy, but I have an external 500G hard drive that I am only using for photos and back up. Thanks again for all your help. If there is any way I can return the favor to any one, let me know. I have about 8 years in construction and the rest in maintenance. Once I get everything in order I plan on being the first house in town to have everything running through PLC's. Automation fascinates me and I can't wait to earn the title of " Geek " LOL

If you are comfortable installing a card into your PC and configuring software, the capture card in your PC will be the way to go. You will find many varying opinions here on whose card to use, review their specs and PC requirements before buying. If you want to control the PTZ's through the DVR, make sure that the card manufacturer supports that protocol (I live in Pelco's backyard... do not use much AD stuff) If you also have an open PCI slot in your PC, you will find those cards to be much more plentiful. I've built a significantly large number of DVR'S for our company over the years (Windows 98 based DVR'S, yikes!), with a card manufacturer who is not one of the ones in common mention here (digi-it). It may be worthwhile to find one who also supports network based cameras in a hybrid configuration, as this provides an advantage down the road if you want to add megapixel cams, etc.

Thanks hardwired for all the help you have given me. This is what I have for a PC . My biggest concern is slowing down my system while I am online. I don't play many games anymore, but still want that option. I am seriously considering a DVR. I have heard a few opinions of e-bay from people on here, but I have had pretty good luck as long as I investigate the products first. The primary function of my system will be to watch my shop. It is not a very big shop, but the tools and equipment I own are worth keeping an eye on. I will not be using IR except to play with after the system is running. My triggers will be from standard motion sensor relays from lighting ( I will be using isolation relays ) and eventually laser and diffuse photo eyes. The two ptz's I have will go up later and are really for my own entertainment. Never much reason to consider how advanced surveilance systems are. Hope I am making sense, it's three thirty in the morning and I tend to babble while I am waking up. Again I appreciate everyones help. If you stay awake through this, let me know what you think. My house is 1600 sq feet, shop is about 400 with two entrances front and back.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model System Product Name

System Type X86-based PC

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2813 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE ACPI

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.25 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.67 GB

Total Virtual Memory 6.69 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.13 GB

Page File Space 3.54 GB

You may have trouble finding a DVR capture card and software that will work with Vista (at least, your options will be a lot more limited)... and really, you don't want your everyday PC doing double-duty as a DVR, as not only will the DVR functionality eat up resources, but any heavy processing you're doing could affect the DVR capture as well.

Having worked with a number of different standalone units and not being too impressed with any of them, my personal recommendation would be a separate PC (doesn't have to be anything outrageous for your purposes, a $300 bare-bones system will do, or a used older machine, anything in a P4 or Athlon64 or better will do), with a card and software such as GeoVision (which I've not dealt with, BTW, they just seem to be popular here as a low-cost solution) or VideoInsight (which I have dealt with a lot and they're quite good). Either route should get you into a suitable PC-based DVR for under $1000.

As far as the PTZs, I don't know about the GeoVision, but VideoInsight fully supports most models, and it doesn't require a particular capture card - you can feed the PTZs off a standard 9-pin serial port on the PC (or if it doesn't have those, using a $10 USB-to-serial adapter).