Magnumtripod

DVR's with Detailed User Account Settings

Note: You can skip to the bottom for my question. Below is just a setup to my question. Thanks

Our company deals, primarily, with Bosch equipment. The base model DVR we usually install for our customers is the Bosch Divar MR. Long story short, we finally confirmed that through this DVR we cannot assign detailed cam views PER user, but by authority level only. There are 3 authority levels: Admin, Advanced, and Normal.

Admin - Access to all settings and Cams

Advanced - Access to Playback for access to assigned cams

Normal - Only able to view assigned cams

Here is the situation we were faced with.

Person A is the Admin and he wants to views all 6 cams. He wants person B to view 4 cams and everyone else to view 3 cams.

Person B is an Advanced user and everyone else are Normal users. Even though Advanced users have access to more functionality they can only view the same cames as the Normal users. So camera views on the Bosch Divar MR (and the new XF) can only be assigned by authority level, which makes the customers options limited. (Unless they buy the $12,000 Dibos )

Bosch sells the MR at a premium price for less than premium functionalty. I would have thought that detailed settings per user would have been a standard basic function of most any mid-grade to high end DVR. I have seen a Toshiba DVR with Surveillix software that had these options and it was very easy to configure. Anyway, my question is:

Are there quality or namebrand DVR's that have the option to assign different camera views per user and NOT just by authority level?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks everyone!

I can't speak for any sort of standalone units, but the Vigil DVRs will do what you want, in a slightly roundabout way - camera permissions are assignable to user groups, but you can create an infinite number of fully-customized user groups. Worst case, you could create a separate group for each user, with that user being the only member of his group.

I believe (although I'd have to look to be sure) that Video Insight will do what you need as well.

I can't speak for any sort of standalone units, but the Vigil DVRs will do what you want, in a slightly roundabout way - camera permissions are assignable to user groups, but you can create an infinite number of fully-customized user groups. Worst case, you could create a separate group for each user, with that user being the only member of his group.

I believe (although I'd have to look to be sure) that Video Insight will do what you need as well.

Thanks for your reply Soundy!

I'm going to look into the Vigil DVRs. Knowing that I can create as many groups as I need is absolutely no problem for me or my fellow techs as long as we can give the customer what they want. If it allows me to get detailed the way I described above then it's fine with me. It would be very rare if we had to set up 100 different users all with different settings hahaha!

Also, what is the Video Insight you mentioned? Is it another brand of DVR? Actually, I'll go ahead and do a search for it, but if you or anyone else has any more ideas it would help me out a lot. Thanks again!

Have you checked out Divar XF woth software version 2.0 or 2.1? I beleive that that has some enhancements to what a you can configure that a user may view.

The Divar XF has 4 authority levels. The Divar MR only has 3. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but user accounts can still only be configured by authority level, not indiviually. It's the same scenario as listed above in the first post and Bosch tech support told me that after I called them.

So far, one of the best and easiest DVR's I've worked with has been the Toshibas with Surveillix. It does everything I've ever needed it to do...so far.

But, I will go on Boschs website and download the release/technical notes for the firmware upgrades. I'll see if any changes have been made that can help me out. And because the XF is so new, tech support pretty much admitted it's still a work in progress.

If I understand your needs correctly, the G4 RTA ( Hikvision ) will allow set up of user rights concerning camera views and authority. User A is admin with complete access, user B can only view cams 1, 2 and 3 while user C can only view cams 4, 5 and 6 and some set up features, etc.

If you are interested, please PM me and I can set up access to a demo so you can see what I am talking about. I believe it will do what you are asking.

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

Divar XF software release 2.5 is available from Bosch now. This release really supports the user management that your are looking for.

Antonie

I looked it up and yes you are absolutely correct! This really helps us out when we are faced with this particular issue and it's also a nice selling point. Thanks for updating me on this; it's very much appreciated! Thanks for everyone elses help as well.