Sign in to follow this  
Metrico

HDD choices?

I'm in the planning stages for a PC based NVR system, and I'm trying to decide on hard drives now. I'd like to use 1tb+ drives, although the only manufacturer of that size that makes cctv oriented drives is Seagate. I have read about some quality control issues Seagate has had recently with those drives. Are there any other manufacturers making cctv grade drives in that size? Or, would server grade drives be sufficient? (Western Digital's RE series for example)

If you want to use WD RE drives in a stand-alone system (not a RAID), you will have to disable TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery). See the Wikipedia link HERE

Mirror them and put a separate fan on the drives otherwise if they get hot

they will fail.

don't like seagate either..

I have noticed over the years the drives last 1-2 years at most if your lucky

and the warranties are getting smaller

I'd be running the drives in RAID, but I'll check out implications of TLER. The RE series drives in general have 5 year warranties, as do the caviar black drives. If it were my own system I'd go with the caviar black, but hey, it isn't my budget I'm spending.

I've been using the RE drives for a while now, and so far, so good. I just built a system for a long-term storage for five Arecont 5105's with 32 1.5 TB Seagate's, we'll see how that goes ( and yes, I know about the firmware problem). I've got them in RAID 6, so we should be able to ride out a few drive problems, and the price point was hard to resist.