Sign in to follow this  
thewireguys

OutDoor wireless access points

What is everybody using?

I have used EnGenius wireless products and they have worked well. They just came out with the EOC-2610 for around $75.00. Any thoughts?

prodImg246.jpg

EOC-2610 is a Long Range outdoor wireless Access Point / Client Bridge that operates seamlessly in the 2.4GHz frequency spectrum and provides high bandwidth up to 108Mbps with SuperG. EOC-2610 features high transmit output power and high receive sensitivity. High output power and high sensitivity can extend range and coverage to reduce the roaming between Access Points and to deliver a more stable wireless connection. It also reduces deployment expenses on the equipments.

EOC-2610 supports distance control by 1km to 30km and RSSI indicator, which enable the best transmit and receive signals for superior wireless performance. This outdoor device comes with a PoE injector (24V) for easy outdoor deployment.

To protect your wireless connectivity, it can encrypt all wireless transmissions through 64/128-bit WEP data encryption and also supports WPA/WPA2. The MAC address filtering lets you select exactly which stations should have access to your network. In addition, the User Isolation function can protect the private network between client users.

EOC-2610 is a feature-rich and all-in-one outdoor device, it is the perfect solution for any outdoor application you may have.

Typically since there isn't "harsh" weather here. I tend to use a standard wireless access point in repeater mode in an outdoor enclosure. Have some that have been running for over 3 years without a problem.

Looks to be a Ubiquiti NanoStation NS2 with their own OS on it. I can't vouch for the EnGenius OS, but I've used quite a bit of Ubiquiti stuff, and it has worked very well. You can also add an external antenna to the NS2, if you need higher gain. I usually build my outdoor bridges / AP's / SU's with Mikrotik Routerboards in a ARC wireless antenna / enclosure, with Ubiquiti mini-PCI cards, that way I have the option of 900 MHz, 2.4, 3.x, 4.9 or 5.8 PtP, multipoint, or mesh.