thewireguys

Small outdoor rated POE switch?

I have a couple of jobs that we are using IP cameras and outdoor AP points and I am looking for the easiest way to power them. I would like to have one small POE switch to plug in and it would be able to power the camera and AP. Any Ideas?

I have used the GarrettCom 10/100, gig and fibre gear for hardened outdoot apps a bit and found them great. Not the cheepest but high quality. They come in many different configurations, so have a chat to your local distributor for the right one.

maybe something like this.

http://www.garrettcom.com/ps14p.htm

The easiest and cheapest way around this problem is simply get an outdoor enclosure and place a standard PoE swtich inside this box. This almost always will work, unless your in harsh areas. If your in hard condition areas your into a situation where you would consider possibly a heater/blower outdoor enclosure.

The easiest and cheapest way around this problem is simply get an outdoor enclosure and place a standard PoE swtich inside this box. This almost always will work, unless your in harsh areas. If your in hard condition areas your into a situation where you would consider possibly a heater/blower outdoor enclosure.

There has to be a cheaper way to do this. The least expensive POE switch I know is 130$

If you are just looking to power the devices, you can buy power injectors that will go in line with the network cable to provide the POE function.

How many ports and what type of connection are you looking for? 10/100 or 10/100/1000?

I know the injectors will work but then that is 2 devices that have to be plugged in. What happens if you have 2 cameras and 1 AP then you need 3 injectors and a small switch so now that is 3 things that have to be plugged in and a bigger outdoor box is needed. So for three devices your spending $60 each for a injector plus a small switch 50$. Without a housing your spending $230 just to power everything.

I would like to find a small 4 port 10/100 outdoor rated POE switch that could fit into a camera housing so we can make the install quicker and cheaper.

POE is nice inside but 12DC is alot cheaper to install