tbeestoni

can a remote key pad be added to a dvr at an entry point?

Currently my dvr is in my roof space and the only way i can deactivate my cameras is by shuting down the dvr and turning it off at the unit in the roof. This is now starting to do my head in as my motion triggered cameras are picking up all my unwanted footage of movement within my house and the only way to stop this is up in the roof. i was wondering if a keypad unit could operate the dvr like an alarm system in order to shut of the unit when im in the house and activate the unit when i leave the house. If this isn't possible does anyone know of a dvr that can shut down and start up remotely so i can add a remote extender to the door area with a monitor in order to activate/deactivate the system?

If I were the provider of your system I would encourage you to have the system running 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

I am anticipating some crime to happen down the road, and you would have video of it happening allowing you to have clues to help solve the mystery!

With the cost of hard drives being cheap nowadays I would tell you to get a bigger hard drive, and not to worry about the amount of activity being recorded.

For remote power control there are products called X10.

You can take an appliance module, and plug the DVR in to it. Downstairs you will have a "keypad", called a controller. You can turn the appliance module on, and off by pressing a button. Simple! No wires to run!

http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/wireless_control.pdf

What do you think?

I agree that leaving it on is best. That said, most DVR's have alarm inputs on them. Connect a keypad with a relay output to that contact and program the DVR to record when activated. If you can set it for normally closed then the DVR would also record if someone ripped the keypad out as the circuit would open.

i'll look into the x10 looks all good and will be able to knock the cams off by my front door preventing unwanted recording

i only know basic connections and haven't delt with alarms much so i think i would struggle with the keypad on a relay unless you can advise on a product and perhaps talk me through it