slackjack

Advice choosing new CCTV system/s

Hi All,

I need to kit out one of our small office/warehouse sites with CCTV. I would like a dedicated DVR with network functionality to remotely view live/footage via ie and also software application (as I've found ie to can be troublesome with active x's and ie8).

I need 6 cameras all night vision enabled, 2 extertnal 4 internal.

Require 30 days footage, motion detection, multi-user login at any one time (up to 4 people) and also a minimum of 15 fps.

I've found the internet to be a mindfield with suppliers/brands. Can I have some reccomendations please?

Also looking for a 16 channel DVR to replace a pc based system which is rubbish. Again would like a dedicated box, ie and software viewers, network, D1?, multi-user login.

Any advice much appreciated.

Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum...

As you point out, there is a million DVR's on the market most of which are great DVR's and will meet your needs. I am sure most who will respond will be similar to me whereas we sell a particular DVR and swear by it. I think it will all come down to price, comfort level and most important, the ability to support the product after the sale.

I would choose a DVR and then post for any feedback on that particular DVR. I would also demand a live demo where you can log in and see for yourself. In doing so, you can, at your leisure, demo the product. If someone does not offer a live demo, I would avoid him or her. Even if they do not offer a link on their site, email them and inquire.

What I find interesting is that the line of DVR we carry there is not a whole lot of chatter on this forum which I believe to be a good thing. Less talk translates into fewer issues, ease of use and rock solid performance. I always look to assist those who have purchased this DVR even if they have not bought from us. But, at times, I feel like the Maytag Repairman

Good luck with your search.

Thanks

Mike

Hello, Hope I can help u.

1. I need to kit out one of our small office/warehouse sites with CCTV.-----this 8 Camera Complete H.264 CCTV DVR Security System is perfect for home and samll business;

2. I would like a dedicated DVR with network functionality to remotely view live/footage via ie and also software application (as I've found ie to can be troublesome with active x's and ie8). ----it supports network remote access

3. I need 6 cameras all night vision enabled, 2 extertnal 4 internal.-----it includeds 4 Color IR Vandal Dome Cameras for indoor/ outdoor use &4 Outdoor IR Color Cameras, you Can Choose any Combination of those 8 Cameras listed as abov.

4. Require 30 days footage, motion detection, multi-user login at any one time (up to 4 people) and also a minimum of 15 fps.---- Recording Frame Rate NTSC: 240 fps @CIF / PAL: 200 fps @CIF &Recording Resolution NTSC: 352 x 240 / PAL: 352 x 288

5. Also looking for a 16 channel DVR to replace a pc based system which is rubbish.----16 Channel H.264 CCTV Security DVR 1 TB HD

Any help needed, please let me know!

I'm looking for something similar but I've had a very bad experience with systems that promise access over internet. Most I tried do live view OK but trying to find a specific event is a nightmare without knowing the exact time and date.

I came across this website today: http://xanview.com and it looks promising. Anyone heard of them?

They have a great live demo on the website and the system feels really intuitive and actually usable over Internet.

I logged into the demo and found it interesting. If I understood the FAQ correctly, the only thing I did not like was the fact you have to go through their server to access your system. I personally prefer a direct connection to my DVR without a third party in the middle. Also, I'm sure there is a charge for this?? Also, I noticed that the frame rate must be set very low on the demo as I can see the image update every second. Very easily noticed now because it's dark and watch the time in the lower right corner. Every second the image refreshes.

But as I mentioned above, it all comes down to comfort level. If you like the feel, look and believe the support will be there than look into them further. I have not heard of them only because I am in the states and they are overseas??

As far as finding events, this is not unusual especially if you have the system recording 24/7. We usually set our systems to record motion only. By doing so, and when remotely searching for any event that occurred during a specific time frame, the system will only bring up motion recorded video. This method works for us very well when a customer calls and says we had something stolen last night. It was there at 8:00 but not there this morning. All we do is tell the DVR to give us motion events on the cam in question and usually find out what happened very quickly.

I logged into the demo and found it interesting. If I understood the FAQ correctly, the only thing I did not like was the fact you have to go through their server to access your system. I personally prefer a direct connection to my DVR without a third party in the middle. Also, I'm sure there is a charge for this?? Also, I noticed that the frame rate must be set very low on the demo as I can see the image update every second. Very easily noticed now because it's dark and watch the time in the lower right corner. Every second the image refreshes.

Hmm, accessing the system through them would be quite crappy. I'll send them a question asking about this. Also, yeah, the live framerate is pretty poor, I'll ask about that too. - Also, no live audio?

The interface is pretty sleek though, I like it.

As far as finding events, this is not unusual especially if you have the system recording 24/7. We usually set our systems to record motion only. By doing so, and when remotely searching for any event that occurred during a specific time frame, the system will only bring up motion recorded video. This method works for us very well when a customer calls and says we had something stolen last night. It was there at 8:00 but not there this morning. All we do is tell the DVR to give us motion events on the cam in question and usually find out what happened very quickly.

What looks pretty cool is you get an image every time something happens, so glancing at the table quickly, I can see what happened the last 12 hours without having to even watch the video.

Also, when I click on the video, the framerate is pretty high and there is audio recording.

Got a reply

They said if the DVR is behind a firewall then you access it through their servers and they set up yourdvr.xanview.com for you. This service and the monthly charge is optional and if you want to use dyndns and others, you are more than welcome to do so.

As for the live framerate, they said it's dynamic and increases up to 15fps on live when there is motion but when there isn't, it is reduced to 1fps to save bandwidth - neat!

There is presently no live audio over Internet - they said this is coming later this year.

Huh, very interesting. What's even more interesting is that the office demo is no longer up. I logged into the private home demo and although the trees are moving the frame rate remains constant.

??????

I actually do like the interface though.

Huh, very interesting. What's even more interesting is that the office demo is no longer up. I logged into the private home demo and although the trees are moving the frame rate remains constant.

??????

I actually do like the interface though.

Hmm, yes, strange, I'll ask

Maybe tree movement isn't enough? - I left live view on screen and a car just drove past and the framerate did go up - the car movement was quite smooth.

Yeah, the interface is pretty. I noticed in the event on the left you have previous and next event buttons and you have under the buttons a calculation how far ago the previous and next events are from the event you're looking at - sexy