NOWIN

GE DVMRe A HARD DRIVE IS BAD

THE OLD HD IS A MAXTOR 160GB ATA/133. I HEAR ITS GOING TO BE HARD TO GET ATA TYPE, WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO? NEXT, WHAT DOES THE 133 MEAN I SEE LOTS OF 100 TYPE. WILL ANY MAKER OF DRIVE WORK ATA, SATA, PATA WHAT KIND WILL WORK. I'D PUT LARGER HD IN AS LONG AS THEY'LL WORK. I THINK I UNDERSTAND IF I WANT THE BUILT IN WEB SERVER SOME DOWNLOADING HAS TO BE DONE. PLEASE HELP THANKS TOM

Edited by Guest

133 refers to 133MHz, which is the PCI bus speed.

IDE drives are still possible to buy but you'll need an ATA type unless stated otherwise in the manual. It should also show the maximum capacity possible but I would think up to 250GB should be fine.

This is a very simple upgrade... Do not use 160G or even 250G drives. Rather, go straight to 500G PATA drives... Take two of these drives to obtain 1TB internal storage.. Make sure you assign them as master and slave and the internal firmware will automatically recognize both drives and give you combined 1TB internal storage.

Dependent when you bought this unit, there may be a firmware upgrade, so when you contact GE, ask if your firmware is up to day and if not, they will give you the latest firmware.

Now, you also have to contact GE to obtain a utility (they will give you the url for download) that allows to assign your remote connection... Lastly, I will suggest to replace the external power supply that comes in 5.2A and get the one with 7.5A...

While at it, change the CD burner - they are a dime a dozen...

Otherwise, not much of anything else could be done...

Good luck.

> go straight to 500G PATA drives

Just to clarify PATA=ATA, but SATA is a different type (serial rather than parallel)

I suggested 250GB as that was about the maximum capacity I could find when I bought one recently, but obviously more is better, assuming it's supported by the DVR.