Stealth8

System won't boot with NV5000 card

I just bought 2 NV5000s for a DVR system for my family's business. To make a long story short, when a DVR card is inserted, the computer will not boot into XP. Instead, it POSTs, detects everything, and then gets to the very last step before the Windows splash screen should come up, then it just hangs there. My system specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 2.4

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Mobo

2GB PC1066 RDRAM

ATI Radeon 9600

Antec 550w PSU

I've flashed the bios and installed the software for the cards, but it still won't boot. Can anyone help me?

you said that you only tried installing the software, so I think that it is a windows error, and that reinstalling windows with the cards installed (so that windows thinks the cards have always been there) in the system will correct the issue.

I had a very similar problem when I installed my NV3000 card. On one occasion I got distracted and left the computer with the "Loading Windows" screen displayed. When I came back about an hour later, the screen had changed to an error message that it could not log me on. I clicked "OK" and the computer proceeded to finish booting. I now dread having to reboot, because it usually takes about an hour to give me the login screen. But sometimes it gets to the error message in just a few seconds. Really weird!

Have you tried waiting it out for an hour or so?? I have not yet resorted to reinstalling Windows, because that is just too painful a process for me.

I have a PC support guy coming by to look into it. I'll let you know if he comes up with a solution.

Charles