southfields

I can't play downloaded mpg from cctv system

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a Digital Recorder (DVR) KT-8004 . I used the backup facility to record a section of cctv footage to a USB drive. It seems to be saved as an .mpg file but when I connect the USB to my laptop and try to play it in windows media player, it says it can't play it and even when I try to play it in Media Player Classic, it says it can't render the file. I have tried downloading various codec packs (K-lite/DScaler5) but no joy. Any ideas?

Thanks

Was there a client software disk with the unit?

There was a disk supplied but it didn't have any software on it for that purpose just the manual which is very basic and doesn't give that much info...

Try VLC Media Player. It'll play darned near everything.

Yeah that was one of the first players I tried, but it doesn't seem to play it. I was wondering if anybody else had any trouble like this and if there was a specific player out there that was used to overcome it...

In my experience, VLC plays files WMP won't play so if it won't work, I'm at a loss.

Have you tried DIVX Player? Just a shot in the dark.

In my experience, VLC plays files WMP won't play so if it won't work, I'm at a loss.

Have you tried DIVX Player? Just a shot in the dark.

Yeah, tried, it says failed to open file...

By the way, are you in a PAL country? Maybe you have to tell VLC to use PAL and not NTSC???

I'm in the UK. I can't see an option in Preferences to choose between PAL and NTSC, not sure if that is the issue though but willing to try anything at this stage..

If all else fails try running the file through pvastrumento:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/DigiTV/pvastrumento.htm

Note the program is not just for PVA files. There are a number of options within the demux (demultiplexing) section which may cure the problem.

I've also found that when VLC has failed to render files correctly, another way to fix the problem that works for me is to use the Womble MPEG Video Wizard to write a new file, which I guess is just tidying up errors in the original MPEG file header.

Presumably this model:

I think I am missing some software - I have asked the company to send me a disk. Hopefully this will resolve it. Thanks for everyone's help.