safcken

Please help me, I'm thick

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend out who has had his business targeted a few times by a certain individual, I have downloaded the footage onto disc, but how do I print a certain frame so we have a photo of this person so we can establish his identity.

Thanks

If you're displaying the video on the computer, you can try pressing "print screen", which, depending on your OS, may copy the contents of the screen to a clipboard buffer. You can then paste this into an image program and print (after cropping and reprocessing if desired) from there.

However, if the video is displayed in 'overlay mode', this may not show the video on your copied desktop image. The best option would be to use a video editor and step to the frame in question and do the aforementioned, as it's less likely to be in overlay mode.

If you're displaying the video on the computer, you can try pressing "print screen", which, depending on your OS, may copy the contents of the screen to a clipboard buffer. You can then paste this into an image program and print (after cropping and reprocessing if desired) from there.

However, if the video is displayed in 'overlay mode', this may not show the video on your copied desktop image. The best option would be to use a video editor and step to the frame in question and do the aforementioned, as it's less likely to be in overlay mode.

Quoted for absolute agreement.

All depends on the DVR you are getting the footage from.

Make:?

Model:?

Quoted for greater agreement - some DVRs will allow you to simply connect a printer, others use common file formats that you can view and print from any basic video player/editor, still others provide a standalone player app that can print to your PC's printer, and some use highly proprietary formats that will require a lot more hacking around.

Rather that go into detail on ways to hack around, it would be helpful to first know what we're dealing with, to (hopefully) come up with the simplest solution possible.

He stated he's downloaded the footage to a disc so Im not sure how the type of dvr used to record the footage could possible make a difference. Unless we're dealing with some black market dvd's or cd's here, or mixing up PAL standard with NTSC standard, the equipment used to record the image onto the disc is unimportant. The question, as far as I understand it, is about getting a still image off of the burnt disc.

Quoted for greater agreement - some DVRs will allow you to simply connect a printer, others use common file formats that you can view and print from any basic video player/editor, still others provide a standalone player app that can print to your PC's printer, and some use highly proprietary formats that will require a lot more hacking around.

Rather that go into detail on ways to hack around, it would be helpful to first know what we're dealing with, to (hopefully) come up with the simplest solution possible.

In the interest of giving the original poster some more options can anyone else provide any other way of getting a still image off of a DISC, than has already been mentioned?

Not really - without knowing what sort of DVR the DISC came from, it's impossible to know what the format is of the video it contains. Without knowing what format that video is in, it's impossible to give one definitive solution. Most of my answer above still applies - does it require a proprietary player or codec, can it be loaded into any common media player with a readily-available codec, or is more hacking around going to be necessary?

Without more information on the files we're dealing with here, there are numerous POSSIBLE options, but nobody can say definitely which one will work.