norstar

RESET DEFAULT Option In Advance/System Menu Question.

I was configuring the port forwarding and checking the web access to the AVtech 760. While testing the DNS setup I got to the 760 via internet with the WEB GUI, I did not like the default password so I changed it to my own and then clicked on the "LOCK" button. Since then I have not been able to even get to the DVR via local home LAN. I posted the question of how to unlock the ID in the other section without hearing back from anybody,

Computer/network Section : viewtopic.php?t=16813

Since I can get to the 760 via the front panel and the monitor directly connected, I saw that there is an option of RESET DEFAULT under the path of SYSTEM/ADVANCE. My questions are,

- Is there a way to unlock the remote ADMIN for remote viewing (of course this would be best without system reset) ?

- Is the (soft) RESET DEFAULT under the system/advance menu same as the hard reset of shorting the two pins under the cover ?

- Does both types of reset cause the DVR to initialize the existing hard drive already installed with data ?

Thanks.

Ok I will answer my own questions hopefully this will help the others who would run into the same problem.

It seems that I could not find a way to reset/unlock this Admin remote GUI so I went ahead to choose the RESET DEFAULT option from the front panel in the ADVANCED/SYSTEM menu to reset the 760. Just to let you know that this would reset the box back to factory default parameter and it does reset the Admin GUI interface. The other info is that this will keep the hard drive content unaffected. The history data is still there to be downloaded.

However this leads to another issue I can see. Since I can reset the system again so I tried several times to no avail of changing the Admin password. No matter what I changed, I just could not log in using the Video Viewer application after I changed the password, closed the application and then tried to log in again with the new password. I even tried the original default password and it still would not let me in. If I cannot change this password I might think twice about opening it up for Web access since you can easily use the default password to sign in.

Did anybody ever change this Admin password and then got in successfully with the new password using Video Viewer ?

Thanks.

I am sorry to hear that you are having troubles.

You may need to take your machine back to the dealer based on what you are describing.

admin

admin

is the default for remote view.

Once you are logged in to the DVR then you would click on the MISCELLANEOUS CONTROL PANEL. This is the one that is second from the left.

When the window appears you would then click on SERVER SETTING. This is located in the bottom left hand side. When the Server Setting window opens then click + on the GENERAL TAB, and then on the ACCOUNT TAB.

Click NEW, and enter the info requested

user name

password

user level (select supervisor for you, and normal user for other)

life time.

If it takes time to open your Video Viewer then make a new account with the ip address, and put the new user / password , and open this account as if it were a different DVR. Once you have confirmed that the user / password works, and that you can control server setting ect then you can log out of the original admin admin account with out having to close, and reopen Video Viewer.

I always put in a secondary account just in case. You may forget the primary, and you have the secondary to fall back on.

There may also be a time where you may have someone log in to your DVR. You can use the back up account without having to release your primary password. Later you can go back and delete the back up account to prevent them from coming back, and viewing your cameras, and creating another backup account.

Let me know if this works.

Is the (soft) RESET DEFAULT under the system/advance menu same as the hard reset of shorting the two pins under the cover ?

The soft reset, and the hard reset, are completely different things, but they perform close to the same functions.

If you ever do a firmware update, and run in to problems then do not do a hardware reset (or a software reset).

A hardware reset will not erase video footage.

- Is there a way to unlock the remote ADMIN for remote viewing (of course this would be best without system reset) ?

I have never ran in to this problem. I do not have any advice. I have been able to set up new accounts, test them, and then been able to remove default accounts. The only errors I make left me unable to activate server control due to wrong user level, or timing out because of lifetime settings.

Hi Scorpion,

Thanks again for your help.

Yes that is great idea of creating a second user name/password as a backup. I tried it and it took my new account name and password. I could log in using the WEB interface from my other local PCs. Questions for you,

- Can the default password, Admin, be changed for the default user name Admin ? This is the one that got me into trouble. I changed it but could not sign back in with the new password even though it took it. Creating the secondary id and password is good however the default password for the Admin should be changed otherwise there is a security issue with this setup.

- Why is it I am not able to sign off from the WEB access ? I do not even see the 'log off' option on the WEB interface. After I closed the window and get back to the url link it would not ask me to authenticate again but to present the camera view again.

- Can you tell me what that "LOCK" icon for ? This is the first one on the left immediately below the round navigation dial on the WEB page. This is the one that got me locked out or the id locked out.

- I tried to create the DDNS section after I enabled it and then put in the info and then applied. However the entries would disappear. I did this under Video Viewer.

Thanks.

Hello!

I am completely lost as to why you are having these issues.

Yes that is great idea of creating a second user name/password as a backup. I tried it and it took my new account name and password. I could log in using the WEB interface from my other local PCs. Questions for you,

I need to stick to one problem at a time. Talking about Video Viewer, and talking about Browser are two separate items.

EDIT: I think you are using a cut and paste rather the IP address. Would this be part of your problem?

Now I am confused as to which of the two you are performing changes in.

Using the browser to make changes is like using a chisel, and a stone, and Using Video Viewer to make changes is like using email.

You cannot make any "internet" changes using the browser.

The lock I am going to assume is going to be the number that you enter in to the front panel, or the number that you installed.

Can the default password, Admin, be changed for the default user name Admin ? This is the one that got me into trouble. I changed it but could not sign back in with the new password even though it took it. Creating the secondary id and password is good however the default password for the Admin should be changed otherwise there is a security issue with this setup.

You can make 5 admin usernames each with a different password, and with different user levels.

Perhaps I should have you describe step by step what you are doing in sequence. This may give me the clue that is creating the havoc.

I notice that you are typing admin with a capitol A as in Admin. I know you know that the DVR is case sensitive. I just had to ask in case this may be your issue. You might be setting up admin, but the DVR is looking for Admin. (??)

You are logged in to your admin admin account when you are setting up other accounts. You can then test the new user name, and passwords. If they work then you are good to go. If they do not work you still have the admin admin account to get back in. When the new ones work then you can go back in under you new password, and delete the admin admin account.

Why is it I am not able to sign off from the WEB access ? I do not even see the 'log off' option on the WEB interface. After I closed the window and get back to the url link it would not ask me to authenticate again but to present the camera view again.

Just hitting the X on the upper right hand corner of the browser should log you out, and close the remote viewing.

It sounds like you did a cut, and paste while logged in to the DVR, and you are using that instead of the IPaddress, or IP address and :portnumber.

You are forcing your computer past the log in, and the computer remembers you with cookies.

Can you tell me what that "LOCK" icon for ? This is the first one on the left immediately below the round navigation dial on the WEB page. This is the one that got me locked out or the id locked out.

I do not use the browser so I truely do not know. If I were to guess it would be the panel lock. Are you using the default 0000 to get in to the menu, or have you changed this number in the MENU password change?

This would be what you would log in to (I believe) when you activate the panel lock.

This is to keep people from pressing buttons on the panel such as rogue employees, and such.

Using the browser means you are pressing the buttons on the front panel remotely. This will take forever as you have internet delays while you wait for the DVR to respond, and the video is delayed for you to see the reaction.

I tried to create the DDNS section after I enabled it and then put in the info and then applied. However the entries would disappear. I did this under Video Viewer.

I truely do not know why you have this problem.

Do not click the off icon. This would be my guess.

What are you looking at to confirm your DDNS settings?

Sorry to confuse you Scorpion,.

Just to clarify before I go into the problem,

- I do not cut and paste the IP address, I typed them in.

- there are three access methods I use,

using Video Viewer application

using web access from local LAN NOT internet using http://192.168.1.10

using the front panel of the DVR

Problem 1 : From the Video Viewer Application,

My default user name is admin and password is admin (all lower case). I used this to sign in using Video Viewer application. It is from Video Viewer I tried to change the default admin/admin id/password. After I changed it to what I wanted, logged off and then tried to log in again using Video Viewer application it said ILLEGAL USER. Is this the right place to change it ? However you did mention a work around that I can create several id/password and tested them before I delete the admin/admin id/password.

Problem 2 : From the Video Viewer application again,

Under Misc Control menu, Network - DDNS, this is where I tried to click DDNS ON, then put in the User Name, Password and Hostname and then APPLY. and then OK. Then I went back to this same page all the info I have entered is gone. Is this the right place to change it for the DYNDNS ?

Problem 3 : From the WEB access using http://192.168.1.10 from the LOCAL LAN,

After I entered the admin/admin id/password, the WEB page shows up with the 4 views in the right hand window. On the left there is a round navigation dial, right below this dial and the first ICON on the left side is a LOCK icon. This is the lock where I would lock out admin/admin if I clicked on this ICON.

Problem 4 : (resolved) From the WEB access using http://192.168.1.10 from the LOCAL LAN,

The way you described is exactly what I used to get out of this problem. I have just proved to myself that using Firefox and IE are different. Firefox would keep the cache of your log in info even if you clicked on the top right hand 'X". However using IE to get to the WEB page and then clicked on the "X" would get you out completely. I have not tweaked the Firefox or the IE at all. Actually I am using a brand new computer I built just a week ago. So I have found the problem that if I use Firefox I would not be logged out completely. Mystery solved on this.

Hopefully I did not confused you further.

Thanks for your time. I mentioned in my other post to have all updates in this posts instead.

Thanks.

Problem 1 : From the Video Viewer Application,

My default user name is admin and password is admin (all lower case). I used this to sign in using Video Viewer application. It is from Video Viewer I tried to change the default admin/admin id/password. After I changed it to what I wanted, logged off and then tried to log in again using Video Viewer application it said ILLEGAL USER. Is this the right place to change it ? However you did mention a work around that I can create several id/password and tested them before I delete the admin/admin id/password.

You have me competely stumped! I do not know why you are having problems. I was hopeing that the description I gave would allow you to work through this problem.

I hate logging out of Video Viewer as it takes so long for it to load. I love the Video viewer because of the built in CMS.

Are you deleting the admin admin account right away, or do you keep the admin admin account while you test the new account?

I prefer to hit icon to create a new account put in your 192 address, and put in the user name, password, and give it some kind of title. I double click on this line, and it opens the DVR a second time, and if it works then I am good, and then I go in and erase the admin admin account.

If you are having problems creating the new account then I have no clue what is going on. You may have to get someone local to you to take a look at it.

It sounds like Video Viewer is working, and I am thinking that there is no corrupt files other wise Video Viewer would not work at all.

Problem 2 : From the Video Viewer application again,

Under Misc Control menu, Network - DDNS, this is where I tried to click DDNS ON, then put in the User Name, Password and Hostname and then APPLY. and then OK. Then I went back to this same page all the info I have entered is gone. Is this the right place to change it for the DYNDNS ?

I use static IP, and I really do not have a lot of experience with DNS setup.

Most of the clients set the DNS up themselves, and usually they are doing it in the router.

I wish I could help you better on this one.

I have no clue why it disappears as you describe.

Edited by Guest

Problem 3 : From the WEB access using http://192.168.1.10 from the LOCAL LAN,

After I entered the admin/admin id/password, the WEB page shows up with the 4 views in the right hand window. On the left there is a round navigation dial, right below this dial and the first ICON on the left side is a LOCK icon. This is the lock where I would lock out admin/admin if I clicked on this ICON.

I am not familiar with this icon as I do not use.

When I get a chance I will have to log in to one, and test it, but it won't be for a few days.

Hopefully I did not confused you further.

I am always confused!! LOL!

P.S.

I am sending you a PM with an email address, and I want you to send me your IP address and username / password, and the info that you punched in.

Sorry for the multi post, but I am multitasking.

Scorpion..... multitasking!!!!!! does your wife know you can do more than one thing at a time???