I have a Pelco Minispec installed in a small room, and it's recently come to my attention that the people working in that small room are acutely aware of when the PTZ is activated, because of the sound of the motor and because the ceiling is low enough that it can be seen. This is an issue, and I've thought of resolving it by replacing the MiniSpec with a motionless PTZ, namely an Axis 212 PTZ-V. Has anyone here had any experience with this or other VPTZ cameras, and if so, what can you tell me about their performance, pros, cons, better brand/models, etc? I'd rather not rely on the company's own reviews of their products.

Thanks!

Also check out the mobitix M22

I do luv the Axis >

it has 140º pan, 105º tilt and 3 times digital zoom is that enough ?

z

Also check out the mobitix M22

I do luv the Axis >

it has 140º pan, 105º tilt and 3 times digital zoom is that enough ?

z

Erm, probably not. I'd probably need something with at least ALMOST the same range of pan and tilt as the Minispec. Although, depending on where I put it, that could work.

Problem is, we don't know what pan/tilt range you actually need, or zoom level, compared to what the camera is actually capable of. Most "real" PTZs will have a full 360/180 pan/tilt range, but if it's stuck in a corner, then you probably don't actually need more than 90-100 degrees of pan or 70-80 degrees of tilt, for example.

We also don't know what level of detail you need. Do you need to see fine details of what people are working on, or just that they ARE working? All these factors are crucial in coming up with some suitable recommendations.

Remember, "virtual PTZ" is achieved simply with a super-wide-angle view capturing a large area, then cropping a smaller area in software and zooming that to a larger view. Any high-megapixel PTZ camera with a wide lens will give you the same base image, even if it doesn't have the built-in ability to zoom on smaller areas of the picture.

If you don't need "movable" zoom but need to always focus on set areas (say, specific workstations), take a look at the IQEye Alliance-series domes, with their "Cameo" function, that lets you pre-define a number of "zoom" regions that you can then view full-screen or in various split-screen grids - think of it as a PTZ with a number of simultaneous presets.

If you need a camera in the middle of the room with a 360 degree view, take a look at the Capture Omniscape, which can also give you multiple simultaneous "preset" views.

Arecont also has a couple of "panoramic" domes that put four cameras inside a single dome, both 180 degree and 360 degree versions.

mobotix gave me a q22. i have it sitting in the office. if you have any questions about it let me know and i will see what i can find out.

i have been trying to integrate from a developers point of view and it is definitely non standard ptz as it basically just zooms in on areas of the field of view to simulate ptz. it works more like an x,y,z axis as opposed to regular ptz.

You could always set the PTZ to do a regular tour, so that it makes noise all the time. That would make it less likely to be noticed... or you could add some ambient noise to the area (let the employees have radios or something... they'd think you're just being a nice guy, when in reality you're trying to distract them)

I've just installed a mobotix Q22 for a customer in a small office. Customer is v pleased with the results. Its recording directly to a buffalo NAS then customer is using either the mx viewer software or web viewer. works very well through PDA/iphone/blackberry.

complete 360 degree coverage and 2 way audio.

I've just installed a mobotix Q22 for a customer in a small office. Customer is v pleased with the results. Its recording directly to a buffalo NAS then customer is using either the mx viewer software or web viewer. works very well through PDA/iphone/blackberry.

i have been trying to integrate from a developers point of view and it is definitely non standard ptz as it basically just zooms in on areas of the field of view to simulate ptz.

Like I said, that's exactly what "Virtual PTZ" is...

How well does that camera do in low light? Could you post some screen shots?