davey_fl

considering using ACM-1231

Hey guys,

I was looking for a decent/affordable cam for the exterior of my home (front door) and stumbled upon the ACM-1231. I'm wondering though, at $500 a pop, is this too much camera for the area? Could I get away with something less expensive? Attached is the pic of where it would be mounted.

thx

DSC_0208.jpg.a5105dbdaf33f4045ef6c7b12c43d397.jpg

I have a 1231 deployed to cover an exterior door... it's a fine camera for that application.

Here is a night-time image:

122939_2.jpg

Looks good, is that with IR illumination?

What shutter speed does it use under those conditions? Is there motion blur of people?

How does it compare to the Mobotix M12 cameras?

Looks good, is that with IR illumination?

What shutter speed does it use under those conditions? Is there motion blur of people?

How does it compare to the Mobotix M12 cameras?

I haven't used any of the Mobotix stuff, so I can't answer your last question.

As for the lighting in that picture, it's a combination of IR, and some ambient light from a streetlight 50 feet or so away (the streetlight is behind and to the right of the camera... you can see a shadow being thrown forward and left from one of the pillars... it falls right across the corner of that welcome mat).

It does motion-blur slightly more at night compared to daytime, but I'm still playing with some NVR settings to see if I can get that to go away. I can't say what shutter-speed it's using.

************ Edit *************

That camera replaced a Speco Intensifier that slowed the shutter speed something fierce... anything moving turned into a dark blur. The Acti cam is light-years ahead of the Speco.

Interesting.

I notice the 1231 uses a megapixel CMOS sensor by Micron, whereas the 1432 uses a non-megapixel Sony Exview CCD sensor, which is supposedly very sensitive under low light levels. I wonder how they compare?

Sawbone

Do you know the settings on you camera? I'm using a 1231 and have a good dusk picture but at night I can see orbs from the LEDs

Thanks,

Vito

I would post a picture but a get this whenever I try:

"Could not access ftp directory: 'attachments/thumbs'. Please check your FTP Settings"

Sawbones

I sent you a link via PM check you inbox.....

I'm still to new around here to post links I guess

Something's wrong... you've either got something on the lens, or you've had condensation inside the camera. I see what you're talking about... looks like water droplets.

I'll post the pic myself... hang on.

OK... got it.

104350_1.jpg

I've only had this camera for five days and its always had this problem....Maybe fingerprints but I doubt it looks like the reflection of the IR LED's

You might want to try removieng the front glass to see if they go away. Might be relections from LEDs on it. It should help to make sure there is a rubber tube surrounding the lens and touching the glass to stop the relection on the lens.

Had this happen on an IR bullet once..

I removed the lense cover and their were spots on the outside of the lense cover. Cleaned the spots and the picture improved greatly. Do outdoor cams require routine maintance, this cam has only been outside for around one week and I'm pretty sure it ws shipped with the spots?

Thanks for everyones helpful posts in helping me resolve this issue.

Sawbones maybe you can help post an after pic since I still cannot post pics or links....I will PM you thanks for the help....

Yes... I find I have to clean off my cameras every once in a while... though most of mine are domes, and I find they don't have nearly the "dirty window" problem as the bullets

What domes do you suggest for outdoor night for use around my home? I'm tring to catch a bad neighbor.....

I've gone entirely with Panasonics... the 484S series surface-mount domes are practically bulletproof (thanks, WDR-Jack!), and the pictures you get out of them are hard to beat. They're a completely sealed unit, and built tough.

I think I've got a total of five of them around the house.

******** Edit *********

They're not megapixel, though... just so you're aware.

Yes.....I'm looking to get good facial recongnition so I can hand the pics over to the police.

Yes.....I'm looking to get good facial recongnition so I can hand the pics over to the police.

OK.... how impotent is the night time image to you? I can recommend the ACTi ACM-7411 for you price range. The 7411 is the same camera as the 1231 but it is in a vandal dome and it doesn't have the built in IR For more money you good go with Areconts dome cameras. I you like to opportunity to earn your business if you decide to order the cameras. I have 3 new 7411's I need to move.