grimshaw

Fade to B&W and back again, underwater

Hi, I have been running 2 CCTV systems for some years now but one problem keeps on cropping up. On one of the DVR cards I have three underwater cameras in the river. They stay in the water 365 and only come out for cleaning of the lens covers. They are all the same make bought on Ebay and one has been in service for 4 years, day in and day out with no problems. OK that’s the statement of facts. All three of these cameras suffer the same fate for no apparent reason which is they fade from colour to B&W and back again. They are on the same switched PSU and it makes no difference which DVR card or channel on the card they are connected to the same thing happens. I have changed everything several times with no success. Colour for some hours then into B&W then after a random period back to colour. First one camera, then another, and so on. Anyone with any ideas.

Thanks

some cameras do this for low light mode.!??

If its not that check the power supply then a video test next.

If you have a CRO you could check the video signal for color burst etc...

How long is the cable run ? & model of cam ?

Hi thanks for the come back.

I can answer a few of your questions.

The camera model is unknown other than it is IP67 waterproof on Ebay. Not a fishing camera!

4 white leds for veiw in dark. 380 lines.

I did buy an underwater camera in the uk at a very high price after first getting a mail from them stating it would be OK to leave in the water. It filled up with water in a week and it took 6 months to get my money back. Like I said these three cameras have been underwater for 4 years now.

This is only a hobby and I don't want to buy expensive test equipment for really no reason, so no to any test equipment. Distance from the cameras to the PC's is 24 meters approx. I have tried different PSu's with no sucess. I have tried a video earth loop gadget with no difference. I did try a video amp which made no difference.

Thanks for your help.

Hi sorry I should have said I get real good colour video on all cameras right into the house to the patch panel where I have the breakout cables from the DVR cards located. I guess I have answered my own question but why would happen to both cards. They are different makes, One EBay Kodicom Clone, One DVR net UK supplier who has no solution by the way.

Sorry to be a bore!!

Thanks