3RDIGLBL

Driveway PIR Sensors for extreme cold

Has anyone had any experience with PIR sensors in really cold (sub -30F) temperatures.

I am currently replacing an Optex beam sensor for a customer because the posts he has them on keep moving and the sensor fails to work all the time. I selected another Optex sensor except a PIR LX-402 but it goes no where near the cold temps I need it to be. Reading the specs of the unit that I replaced it was not speced that low either but appeared to work in the cold. I may find that this one might work as well at that cold but I'm not sure.

Any other rugged outdoor sensor MFG you can point out. The Optex europe company has really cool microwave hybrid sensors but there not available in the U.S.

Thanks

I actually have the same problem. I've got a Dakota Driveway alert setup, and I'm constantly getting complaints it doesn't work in the cold.

There's a few different companies that make cold weather PIR's. Haven't researched any yet. Also, Paradox makes a microwave sensor. Might be worth checking out.

Let me know what you find out. Hopefully sometime soon I get around to getting something worked out!

I ended up buying a Crow EDS-3000 which has the microwave technology.

I've heard the Optex beams work good in the cold as well but I couldn't find what I wanted from them as a replacement. We'll see how the Crow works.