shadysprings

Expert SDI guy, but new to security/dvr world Questions

Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated:

I am graduating from a PTZ IP camera. I want higher resolution and more cameras.

1> What is a good DVR that can:

- 4-8 channel

- network

- motion detect that can be set with a grid or boxes

- send email of picture triggered by motion - before/during/after pictures

- custom recording on HDD triggered by motion.

- PTZ compatible via remote web browser- maybe??? Not sure if good idea

2> Cameras - Any suggestions on good resolution color outdoor camera?

- what to look for? Good picture both day and night?

- do i want IR? for night time?

- CMOS or CCD image sensor is better?

3> Power

- are there power over coax solutions?

- or a coax that has power along side?

- or best to wire up power individually to each camera?

4> wired vs wireless - are there any wireless cameras that have good resolution? Recognize a face from 50 feet? Or need to go wired for sure?

5> PTZ - if I get PTZ compatible DVR, does that mean another cable I need to route for PTZ control?

and finally, any suggestions for where to buy everything at? on-line or in Los Angeles area?

Thanks

Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated:

I am graduating from a PTZ IP camera. I want higher resolution and more cameras.

What make and model of camera is this? Most IP cameras are also megapixel... if this one isn't, then you're looking at going to megapixel to improve your resolution, and in today's market, that means IP.

Analog cameras are limited to 525 lines of resolution by NTSC video spec (more if you're in a location that uses PAL). Analog capture devices (DVR cards and the like) are generally limited to a max of 640x480 up to 720x480, depending on the exact design.

1> What is a good DVR that can:

- 4-8 channel

- network

- motion detect that can be set with a grid or boxes

- send email of picture triggered by motion - before/during/after pictures

- custom recording on HDD triggered by motion.

- PTZ compatible via remote web browser- maybe??? Not sure if good idea

Vigil and Video Insight are two PC-based DVRs that will do all this. Both also handle IP cameras.

2> Cameras - Any suggestions on good resolution color outdoor camera?

- what to look for? Good picture both day and night?

- do i want IR? for night time?

Those are questions only you can answer, as it will depend on the specific installation and its requirements.

- CMOS or CCD image sensor is better?

Ahh, now that's a question sure to start a holy war. CMOS or CCD? Canon or Nikon? Mac or PC? Ford or GM? Each has their benefits and drawbacks, and again, each will depend on the specific needs of the installation, but in general, either will do you just fine.

3> Power

- are there power over coax solutions?

Yes... see this thread: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16507&highlight=

- or a coax that has power along side?

Yes - look up "siamese cable".

- or best to wire up power individually to each camera?

Another option is to use twisted-pair cable (Cat5, Cat6, even Cat3 or two-pair station wire) along with video baluns, allowing you to send video over one pair, power over two more pairs (doubled-up to reduce losses), and a pair free for PTZ, a second video feed, or whatever you may find a use for.

4> wired vs wireless - are there any wireless cameras that have good resolution? Recognize a face from 50 feet? Or need to go wired for sure?

There are loads of wireless options for both analog and IP. WiFi megapixel IP cameras are certainly available too. What works best will, yet again, depend on the circumstances of the specific installation, balancing cost vs. distance and reliability.

5> PTZ - if I get PTZ compatible DVR, does that mean another cable I need to route for PTZ control?

That's a great big "it depends". There's a PTZ control spec called "Coaxitron" that feeds the signal over the coax. However, it requires that the DVR/controller and camera both support it, or it needs separate encoder/decoder boxes at each end.

If, as noted above, you use four-pair UTP cable (Cat-3/5/6) for video and power, you'll have a pair left over that you can use for serial control.

But then, if you require megapixel resolution, that means IP cameras, in which case the control signal is just carried over the network along with the video.