Metrico

Dual purpose NVR/Access Control PC

I'm building an NVR that will handle 11 ACTi 3511 cameras and will be running LuxRiot Advanced. I wanted to know if there would be any particular issue if the NVR also handled the software side of a 4 door access control system. (Galaxy) The key system specs are as follows:

Intel Xeon 3110 cpu (3gHz)

4GB of RAM (2x2GB, dual channel)

4x1TB Western Digital RE3 drives in raid 5

The motherboard is a server grade board (Asus P5BV-C) which will be using one or both onboard ethernet controllers to connect to the camera system switch.

Can the system handle both? Or, is a second system for the access control necessary? It seems like the access control needs are fairly minimal so I'd hate to devote a whole system to it.

I don't think you will have any problems with that setup. You may want to create separate partitions for the SQL database for the System Galaxy and the video storage for safety's sake when they fill up.

Unless you are running those 3511's at full frame rate and resolution, you'll have a pretty lightly loaded system. Make sure you do at least occasional backups of the Galaxy database, rebuilding all that data is a ugly job. Trust me on that one (1300 users and 14 door configurations redone at a customer site, arrrgh!) Galaxy's tech support is pretty good, though. Looking at your setup, you may want to spend the money on a separate RAID controller card, rather than the "fake" motherboard raid. Performance and recovery capabilities are usually much better that way.

Like stated before you should not have any problems. But you need to think about upgrades to the video later and you could be using up some of the server I still like the NVR to be just that and use xp pro on a desktop to run the 600 controller as it only needs to talk when you do reports or add users. I just like having my DVR NVR used just for that one task. Most people when they use the video they want more something to think about.

That's a good point on the raid controller, got a card coming in for that. As far as the video, I figured it would be something that I could upgrade if needed. I don't need live viewing so that wasn't as critical of a component. If it turns out I need one, they are cheap and easy enough to get.