sbering

Lockbox Recommendation

I have some DVR's at a few apartmetn buildings and we need to secure the dvrs. We usually end up putting them in a garage or hot water closet. We don't need a completely locktight system, but something that would at least deter someone from just stealing the thing.

The problem I run into on our current lockboxes is they don't ventilate well enough. Getting larger ones would probably help instead of stuffing all the stuff inside (The installer we used kind of sucked, so now I'm picking up his mess). I live in southern california and the summers get kind of hot, 95-100 so the dvrs sitting in the garages or hot water closets really need good ventilation or they will burn out (I've already run into this problem). I would get a metal mesh box, but then too much dust gets in. Or should I not worry about the dust? I need to find a good balance. Does anyone have a recommendation on a well ventilated dvr lockbox?

How possible is it to relocate these machines? I often find an electrical or phone room, or even elevator mechanical room, is a good location - they tend to stay cool, relatively dust-free, and are inherently secure, thus reducing the need for a lock box. In locations like these, even if a lock box is still needed, you've reduced the need for cooling and dust-blocking.

Unfortuneately, I don't think we can relocate the dvrs. We don't really have any extra storage rooms or it would be way too far to rerun cable. The buildings were built a long time ago with none of the modern amenities such as storage closets, haha.

For the ones we have in garages, We have shelves mounted in the garage, I was thinking of mounting the units under the shelves, that way they will stay away from peoples stuff and be off the ground.

I removed the case top and drilled/bolted the chassis to the shelf. Someone would have to take the thing apart to steal it. You can usually run another drive from the unit that can be hidden also.