MontyBravo

Help finding a camera please

Hi all,

Trying to find a analogue cctv ptz which i can desktop mount rather than ceiling mount. I am in the uk so any uk distros would be fantastic if anyone knows of any which do this,

Thankyou in advance,

Best regards,

Monty Bravo

Could you be a little more specific as to your needs? Size? Features? Price range?

I've dealt with one PTZ that mounts on top of something rather than needing to hang from it, and that's a Pelco Esprit. Probably a little big for a "desktop" though...

no problem here is some clarification,

its to be used in the back of a van for surveillance, needs to have the video option "desktop mount" this is a option common in most ip ptz cameras but not in standard analogue which is what's required. This means it is required to be mounted sitting on something rather than hanging from.

As far as a Budget - cheaper end of the market! grin,

Best regards,

Monty Bravo

The problem with most common "hanging" PTZ designs is that they don't go "up" beyond the horizontal... which means when you invert them, they won't go "down" beyond horizontal.

down_under has the right idea, I think - this is the aforementioned Esprit, which is along those lines:

102898_1.gif

Not all hanging PTZ's are limited to this......due to design needed for Airports etc (you need to see above the horizon for planes coming in etc) you can now find PTZ's that do this......but I have not seen a lot that go past horizontal...I think the new Bosch one comes close......I think the website is http://www.autodome.com but I Imagine it might not quite cut it, a smaller version of what is pictured above would work, most pan tilt heads can run on Pelco Protocol so no real issue.

sorry guys i don't think you quite get where im coming from. its a lot easier to covert mount a ptz if i can sit it in a parcel shelf of a car rather than having to hang it from a ceiling,

with this in mind the cameras software needs to support flipping the image from ceiling mount to desktop. I can find any analoge cameras which have this software option.

sorry guys i don't think you quite get where im coming from. its a lot easier to covert mount a ptz if i can sit it in a parcel shelf of a car rather than having to hang it from a ceiling,

Well, no, because until now you haven't been this specific about your needs - you asked for "desktop mount", then narrowed it down to "back of a van for surveillance". All our suggestions have been based on that. "Covert to mount on a parcel shelf" is a whole other story.

with this in mind the cameras software needs to support flipping the image from ceiling mount to desktop. I can find any analoge cameras which have this software option.

Well, again, the (potential) problem you're going to have with almost all dome-style cameras is that they won't tilt past the horizontal... so even if you can flip the image, you'd only be able to tilt from straight-across to straight-up; you won't be able to look downward at all. This may or may not be an issue for you, but it'll be a lot harder for anyone to recommend something without knowing whether that's a criteria.

Of course, if you're recording this camera for later viewing, you can always flip it in software before or during playback (VLC video player will do realtime rotation on playback). Again, we're working off limited information.

Worst case, you could just mount the monitor upside-down as well... sorry if that sounds flip, but off the top of my head I don't know of an analog camera that will do what you want (doesn't mean they don't exist, of course), so I don't know what else to suggest.

to be honest desktop mount is just how i have described a camera which needs to be able to be mounted (and video used) from that position, sorry about the bad comms

no problem chap its a bit of a difficult one which is why i posted it, as faras positioning thats fine becuase your limited by the view of the glass so having it not being able to go "down" is not an issue,

pretty much all the ip ptz support this. including some older units. pia grin!

Gotcha. Okay, well aside from flipping the monitor, or flipping the playback in software, I'm out of ideas... maybe someone else can chime in with a suitable camera.

I suppose, if you wanted to get really hardcore, you might be able to physically flip the camera board within its pan/tilt mechanism... depending on the exact camera design, of course; it will be easier with some than with others. Not something I ever looked at doing though, so I couldn't tell you which designs would be more conducive to it.