nocturnal59

Stuck with $2,000 worth of PAL Cameras

We are a cctv reseller and dealt with a new camera supplier for the first time. Our experience with them has been horrible and they sent us the wrong type(PAL) cameras. We can send them back but they said customs is bad over there in china and might get lost. Anyone have any idea of what i can do with these, should i sell them to europe, or can i even use them on NTSC systems? Thanks

Steven

We are a cctv reseller and dealt with a new camera supplier for the first time. Our experience with them has been horrible and they sent us the wrong type(PAL) cameras. We can send them back but they said customs is bad over there in china and might get lost. Anyone have any idea of what i can do with these, should i sell them to europe, or can i even use them on NTSC systems? Thanks

Steven

No surprise here. You just got scammed! This is the supplier's mistake and hold them accountable. Hopefully you used a payment method that will allow you to get your money back. If you paid with a credit card you can just call your cc company and do a chargeback. Most bank payments are also able to be stopped. Check with your bank. If all else fails throw them up on eBay and take the loss or throw them in the trash and move on with your life. NEVER BUY FROM AN UNAUTHORIZED RESELLER!!!!!

Forcing the supplier to fix their "error" would be my first choice as well... if they say "customs is a problem" I'd insist that they ship the correct cameras first, and that I'd only return the PAL cameras after I've received the new ones and confirmed that they ARE correct. After that, customs can screw things up all they want.

Short of that, if these are 12VDC cameras, they won't care that the local power is 60Hz... if you can find a DVR or DVR card that supports PAL input, you could then use the cameras with that. Once the signal is digitized, NTSC or PAL won't matter.

thanks soundy

these are 12v cameras, i have a few cards that support PAL and will try them tonight. We are also an installer so i can get rid of these 100 cameras in a month or two. If they dont work with my card i will make this company send the correct ones or we will no longer do business with them. We have 8 different vendors from china and never had a problem, this is the first. I know we are going to get burned on some shipments but the price we save is well worth it even with losing out on a few deals.

Do you have to choose PAL on most dvr systems that support both or is it automatic? and can you mix PAL and NTSC on these? Thanks

>Do you have to choose PAL on most dvr systems that support both or is it automatic? and can you mix PAL and NTSC on these?

AFAIK all DVRs will not permit mixing PAL/NTSC sources.

You could market them highlighting the superiority of PAL over NTSC: higher resolution and no hue errors

thanks soundy

these are 12v cameras, i have a few cards that support PAL and will try them tonight. We are also an installer so i can get rid of these 100 cameras in a month or two. If they dont work with my card i will make this company send the correct ones or we will no longer do business with them. We have 8 different vendors from china and never had a problem, this is the first. I know we are going to get burned on some shipments but the price we save is well worth it even with losing out on a few deals.

Do you have to choose PAL on most dvr systems that support both or is it automatic? and can you mix PAL and NTSC on these? Thanks

I would sincerely hope that you won't pass your misfortune on and dump these on unsuspecting customers without disclosing the fact that they are PAL. I wouldn't want to be that customer who found out the hard way if another installer did an upgrade to the system.

My take on all of this is hold the distributor responsible. Probably not much you can do. If it were an honest mistake you would be getting the problem resolved quickly without excuses. Either way, you're probably not going to be doing business with this company again, they don't care. Good luck.

>Do you have to choose PAL on most dvr systems that support both or is it automatic? and can you mix PAL and NTSC on these?

AFAIK all DVRs will not permit mixing PAL/NTSC sources.

You could market them highlighting the superiority of PAL over NTSC: higher resolution and no hue errors

Sounds like a plan, at least till the customer wants to add more cams. They'll be searching for more PALs.