jam

DM DS2 hard drive upgrade UPDATE *Issue FOUND*

Anyone got any ideas?

I have got a 320GB 8Mb cache western dig PATA hard drive. When I insert it into the machine it hangs at initialising bootloader. It doesn't go any further than that. The controls don't respond. When I remove it it works fine.

Doesn't matter if its a single or Master or Slave it always hangs at that point.

I've updated the firmware to the latest. Still does the same thing.

I've tried using Norton Ghost and making an identicle disc but with a larger capacity it does the same thing.

I've phoned DM and of course got the tough mate really line. All great and wonderful but I need to get a bigger HDD in this unit 16 cameras are burning through the 80GB inside 24 hours which pretty much makes them useless.

Helps please!!!!!!!!

Haha issue found. The new HDD is drawing too much voltage/ampage. Therefore the unit it drawing all the power to the HDD and taking it away from the motherboard causing it to die on the initial stages of the bootloader. In steps a spare computer to be used as power only to the new HDD and the old HDD still powered from the DMDS2

Brilliant I can now access the menus ect so I'm going to see if its actually been detected.

Wish me luck.

jam

It's impossible that new hard drive requires that much current. Voltages are standard, 12/5V. I've never heard for such an issue before, something is wrong with your new hard drive.

I got hold of my multimeter and your bang on. However it seems the Bootloader doesn't support my 300GB HDD. I have tried a 80GB hard drive running in series and that works a treat. So I'm on a mission to find out exactly what HDD it will take as DM have no clue as they told me 500GB will be fine.

I have registered to go on the DM hard drive replacement course so I can pose some questions to them hoping I can get my answers as DM tech support don't want to know you.

jam

install the drive on a pc as a second drive and copy all the files to a folder on your pc. open the video0 file and select all, then delete.

shut down and and install the new larger drive into the pc.

reformat the new drive to fat32 then copy all the files from pc to the new drive.

now shut down pc, remove drive, and install into the dm and restart.

ive done this to several dm ds2 machines and it works fine.

ive noticed it depends on machine as too how large you can go . in your case i think id just replace the small drive instead of adding a larger second drive.

Thanks for the reply. I believe that the HDD I'm putting in is just too big for the drive to be recognised. I've dropped in a smaller one as a secondary drive and thats working perfectly.

Cheers

jam

Tried it as a single and it froze. Basically no matter what configuration you have this hard drive in it just freezes, which leaves me to believe that the firmware is capped or at least old enough not to support my 300GB HDD. However theres no firmware update from DM to allow the unit support larger harddrives.

Popped another 80GB in for the time being.