ImaginationConceptsInc

Help needed on Analog and IP camera system

Hey Guys,

Im looking for some help with a system im currently quoting. Ive been in the low-voltage industry for about 4 years now mainly doing cabling. However, Within the past year ive moved into cctv. I have done about five 8 camera jobs and one 16 camera job. Ive come to a point where I have about a 31 camera job and Im looking for some advice from the more experienced installers out there. Here is what I have planned right now.

There is currently 16 cameras in place that are old black/white so I planned on reusing the wire that is there for 16 of the cameras. The other cameras will be located in 2 separate buildings that are on the same local LAN. I was thinking of throwing IP cameras in those buildings and running them into a a hybrid server. Im wanting to quote both a megapixel system and a non-megapixel system. There is no need for IR due to the facility being lighted 24/7.

So here is what i was thinking for megapixel

16- analog cameras megapixel (not sure which cameras)

-Very open to suggestions on these. No idea which ones to use

15- ACM-4200 or ACM-3411 from ACTi Ip Megapixel Cams

-I like the ACM-4200 because they are cheap but still provide 1.3 mp. For $200 a piece they are hard to beat.

1- exacqVision 4U Rackmount Hybrid Server

-Open to suggestions on this as well

3- Netgear PoE switches

Ive never used exacqvision, but ive read good things.

Any recommendations on this would be appreciated. It is crucial that the system be easy to use. I could probably build my own computer to handle everything, but right now for my first system I would prefer to use a all in one unit if possible.

That will be a good low cost IP camera system if you don't need any vandal resistance. I would use one big switch instead of 3 smaller ones if you can. One thing to keep in mind when using Exacqvision software is you must use the client software to view recorded footage.

I would love to use 1 switch, but due to the buildings being in different locations it would involve running all the cat5e to the other buildings which would be very difficult. As of right now they do not require vandal resistance. Ive also taken a look at Nuuo products and they appear to meet my needs as well. Anyone have an opinion on the difference between exacqVision and Nuuo?

Ok here is what ive come up with. Ive had little replies, but i figured someone might take a look over this.

(2)NUUO-NV-4160 16 channel pc recorders

(1)NUUO-PC25IP 25 channel pc recorder

(1)NETGEAR GS748TP 48 gigabit port

(2)NETGEAR FS726TP 12 port PoE

(27)ACM-3511

(20)ACM-1231

(1)Rack

(3)UPS Backup

(10) Upgrade Hard Drives 1.5tb

Im doing more cameras than originally anticipated, but the network should handle it. Each building is getting their own server which should cut down on the amount of traffic going from building to building. The network will also be completely separated from the current one. If anyone knows of a good 16 port PoE switch i would gladly appreciate the link to it. Right now im doing a 12 port for the other locations, but would really like to have extra ports for adding more cameras.

Just curious what is the cost your looking at on this? Seems expensive with all of them ip cameras.

Also only thing I can suggest is getting a good battery backup such as the apc bx1500lcd minimum.

There is currently 16 cameras in place that are old black/white so I planned on reusing the wire that is there for 16 of the cameras.

16- analog cameras megapixel (not sure which cameras)

Umm... you know there's no such thing as an analog megapixel camera, right? Megapixel resolution (anything higher than NTSC spec) requires a different transmission method, and currently that means IP.

I would assume these cameras are currently running over coax, so to use IP cameras, you either need to replace the wiring, or use something like Veracity HighWires. I've used these, and they work GREAT, but they are a bit pricey ($300-$400 per pair). They'll run on 12VDC or 24VAC, so they can be powered off the existing power runs to the cameras. What it comes down to, IF you really need to go MP with these cameras, is whether it's worth it to avoid pulling new wire.

The other option, of course, is simply to replace the B&W with regular analog cameras...

have you ever thought about integrating both analog and IP on the same coax? to ease the engineering process and have more flexibility on your system.

I dont see that you have anything about your lens choices. You do need to take into account the distances and what is needed to be viewed. It would be a mistake to assume that a megapixel camera will solve all of the view problems. In most cases you could probably still use standard resolution cameras with the right lens choice.

You also need to verify the classification of PoE on the cameras and whether or not the PoE switches you are using are guaranteed per port switches or total budget switches. It will make a big difference in how many cameras you can connect to it. Not all switches or cameras for that matter are the same.