Squiffy

AVTech AVC787 firmware upgrade?

It's currently v1.0.9.8, I'm wondering what is the latest version? Is there a version history (knowing AVTech I doubt it...)?

I usually avoid upgrading firmware unless there's a tangible benefit, so if anyone can shed any light on bugs that may have been fixed, I'll appreciate it.

I've downloaded firmware named "AVC787_1066" - is that v1.0.6.6?

Most of the time it might be that they changed a chip set, and the new firmware allows the chip to fit in to the "family".

Ah I see, rather than any functionality improvements or bug fixes.

I'm still gettting used to this DVR, there does seem to be a bug whereby manual record is mysteriously enabled without me doing so. I normally just use event record only.

BTW, am I right in thinking that it records *all* record-enabled cameras upon motion detected on (for example) just *one* camera?

I was not sure about the question as worded, but yes it motion detects the cameras that are "enabled", and records to the hard drive.

As to why the DVR defaults to manual record: I wonder if someone is pushing the record button on the panel?

lol - no-one is pushing any buttons...

I think it's a bug which is invoked by changing another unrelated setting but I've yet to ascertain what it is.

As for the other question, it seems *all* cameras are recorded even if motion is only detected on *one* of those cameras, during the detection period.

I see what you are saying.

Make some card to put in front of each camera. As you get in to view of the camera look at your watch, and write down the time, on the card and stand it up for the camera to read the time "stamp". Place a large clock in front of each camera. If you cannot place a clock in front of each camaera then use shadows to help denote the passing of time, or be creative for your application.

Mask of anything that may trigger recording. Lets say you wait a half hour, or an hour. Now go in front of one camera only.

You are recording a matrix of all of your cameras.

The cards will tell you if all of the cameras are being recorded, or if only the last camera triggered was recorded, but you are seeing a matrix of one new recording, and "the last video recorded" on each channel.

Does that make any sense.

I think you may see all of your cameras, but I think it is only updating the last camera "triggered".

Different DVR react differently depending on the chipsets.

There are also some DVRs that record a matrix of all videos. You can spot these as they eat up space on a hard drive more then they should. These are more common with 4 channel enty level DVRs.

Thanks, I didn't have to go to the lengths you suggest, closer scrutiny reveals it's doing what I thought - recording on all cameras if motion is detected on any of them.

Your suggestion reminded me of this though

http://www.mediashed.org/files/sniffin/VidSniff%20%280-00-15-12%29.jpg

See here if you're wondering what that's all about...

http://www.mediashed.org/?q=videosniffincom

FWIW, my 787 hardware is Rev 05A, dated 13/10/2005

LOL!

Take some cards, and write

"hello there"!

"why are you watching me"?

"are you God"?

and so on....

> there does seem to be a bug whereby manual record is mysteriously enabled without me doing so. I normally just use event record only.

After a reversion to defaults (but not a hardware reset) I'm still getting this. It's not a major problem but it is irksome. If anyone else has the same DVR model, I'll be interested to know if you also experience this bug (if set to motion record only) and your firmware version (I'm still using v1.0.9.8 ).

Thanks

about the motion detecting cameras i think its avtech's program..

even if ONLY camera 8 senses the motion, its not only camera 8 that records but also cameras 1-7 records together with camera 8 therefore taking up space on the HDD .

Thanks, yes, I'd realised that.

There are pros and cons to this, the obvious con is that HDD space may be wasted and you don't have a neatly time-compressed series of events on a particular camera. On the pro side is that other activity, which may be relevant to that of what's motion triggered the single camera, will be recorded.