313-313

POE or Distributed power supplies

Hi

I am doing three installation each with about 10 arecont IP cams with Exacq NVR. What do you all recommend POE or Distributed power supplies (altronix). With POE I have seen cameras loose power occasionally. Need your advice. The second question is that I see a lot of latency(4 to5 sec) on all my cameras on my LAN. I have increased the frame rate from 1FPS to 8 FPS.

thanks

Hi

I am doing three installation each with about 10 arecont IP cams with Exacq NVR. What do you all recommend POE or Distributed power supplies (altronix). With POE I have seen cameras loose power occasionally.

Using PoE in a number of sites now, haven't noticed any dropouts. One site, the move was "encouraged" after problems with the initial 18/2 power wiring was frying cameras (we never did figure out why; electricians did all the wiring before we even got there).

Need your advice. The second question is that I see a lot of latency(4 to5 sec) on all my cameras on my LAN. I have increased the frame rate from 1FPS to 8 FPS.

thanks

It's possible these two problems are related. As we've seen in numerous other threads, cheap "home-office" switches will often have problems with the amount of traffic megapixel cams throw at them, leading to delays, dropouts, and latency problems. It's possible your cameras aren't actually losing power, but are simply dropping out (thereby leading the PoE source/switch to think that they've been disconnected and turning off the power to that port).

What are you using for your PoE and switches? I've used the LinkSys SFE1000P on several sites (eight 10/100 PoE ports, two fiber/GbE ports) and found it very solid; another site, we're running thirteen 1.3MP cameras on a LinkSys SRW2024P 24-port 10/100/1000 PoE switch with nary a hiccup.

I am using Netgear 12 port POE . I had two NVR connecting to same cameras. As soon as I disconnected one NVR, There was a significant improvement in delay. I will try my luck with 18/2 and see if there is any problem with the power issues. 12 port poe is at the office for my initial setup of cameras. At the customer location I will give 18/2 a try out.

thank

I am using Netgear 12 port POE . I had two NVR connecting to same cameras. As soon as I disconnected one NVR, There was a significant improvement in delay.

That smacks of the switch having problems with the traffic, to me. What model switch is this?

I will try my luck with 18/2 and see if there is any problem with the power issues. 12 port poe is at the office for my initial setup of cameras. At the customer location I will give 18/2 a try out.

Just so you know, that won't affect the traffic issues at all. If something else is causing the PoE to drop off some cameras, that will bypass that little issue, but that's about all.

You noted that you are using two NVR's connecting to the same cameras, is that correct? If so, Arecont cameras do not like feeding more than one stream at a time. You may need to make some changes, if this is the case.