VST_Man

remote storage of video?

If a thief steals the "box" they will get the video/evidence. I am pushing to integrate a networked "nas" drive that stores the video to a remote location and not on the "box" itself. I want to sell this additional feature as a selling point and would like to know if any of you have had any comments or experience. I currently do this and it work fine. My only concernis tying up the network with constant video streaming/storage. A good router can manage this but that adds to the cost of.

Network storage, via CAT5, is the most feasible, it works, and is cost effective. Can be located anywhere, hidden, locked up. If the system crashes or is stolen you still have you video.

Then there is the Doberman and chain.

Comments? Suggestions?

Check out the Dell PowerVault 775N. Great price, and if you google it you will get tons of great reviews.

it all depends on distance between DVR station and remote backup server

if it's in easy reach distance - about 100 meters for ethernet or up to quite a few kilometers (world record stands for 77) using 802.11b or g with directional antennaes

what use can have you of good, or bad, router ? are you transmitting video over internet ?