streethacker

Power Supply Question!?

Im geting 4 Eclipse ECL-557HIM cams they draw 1AMP per camera with IR on and Strobe on..Im looking at this power supply ECL-PS4AC which does 4AMPS per channel... Im wondering if I take one of those cams and replace it with a PTZ will that power supply be ok..due to the fact that the PTZ power is rated at 24VAC (30 watts)... so 30W/24v=1.25 Amps...Will that power supply have enough Amps to run the PTZ?

Will that just cause for instance the infrareds to dim etc if the PTZ is being operated?

Another idea im passing around is geting a 8 Channel DVR and having 6 ECL-557HIM along with 2 PTZ...

ECl Cams = 1AMP with IR and strobe on

PTZ=1.25 AMPS

Will a power supply rated at 8 channels 24VAC, 4A continuous output work for such a setup? or is that underpowering the unit and what will happen if I do under power...Or should i buy 2 4 Channel 24VAC with 4AMP power supply? Thanks in advance!

That power supply is rated 4.2A *total*, not per channel.

The spec sheet for those domes lists them as 300mA nominal draw, 600mA with IRs on, so even with all four of them *and* the PTZ, you're only looking at a maximum 3.5A or so.

The only potential problem I'd see is the fuse rating on each channel - if it's less than 1.25A you'll pop the fuse that the PTZ is on, but I'd expect they're probably 2A fuses on each channel. If not, you can bump the one for the PTZ up to a 2-3A version.

Thank you for the information.. So before i buy any cctv equipment i should make sure the AMPS does not exceed the total amps of all the equipment?..Also im sorry for being a noobie but I can replace the fuse's that are in the unit with higher ones if it is only a 1.25amp fuse?..and last question whats the advantage of going with 24VAC vs 12VDC? Thanks again!

Thank you for the information.. So before i buy any cctv equipment i should make sure the AMPS does not exceed the total amps of all the equipment?

Correct. Check your information sources - you state initially, for example, that the domes require 1A each, which doesn't match what the manufacturer spec sheets say. The spec sheet on the PSU is also different (4.2A) than what you stated. As you see, having the right numbers does make a difference!

Also im sorry for being a noobie

Hey, everyone's a noob at some point

but I can replace the fuse's that are in the unit with higher ones if it is only a 1.25amp fuse?

The idea with a fuse (and a circuit breaker) is that it will pop and cut the circuit if more than the designated amount of current is flowing. This is done primarily to protect against fire: a short in the wiring, or a failure in the equipment that causes excessive current draw, can cause the wiring to overheat and potentially start a fire. A fuse also provides some protection for the equipment: it can partially protect the camera from power spikes and surges, and it can protect the power supply from burning out if there's too much demand placed on it.

Really, you could put a 20A fuse on each channel and they'd still perform their primary purpose, but there's no NEED to do that. Most power supplies of this type, the fuses will be some nominal rating such as 2A or 3A, allowing for flexibility in layout. You can bump any one of them up a bit without concern.

..and last question whats the advantage of going with 24VAC vs 12VDC? Thanks again!

Mainly, the higher voltage means less current is required for the same power requirements (roughly, 12W would be 0.5A at 24V vs. 1A at 12V). By extension, you get less voltage drop over the wire run. Also, most (cheap) 12V cameras use a common ground between the power and signal lines, which in some instances can introduce ground loops and noise problems, especially when using a central power supply.