Dilan

Help with a new IP system

Hey guys,

Im currently building a new house in Australia. I have found a cabler that is going to run cat6 cables from various places around the house to a patch panel (around 12 cables).

Now doing a bit of research into IP megapixel cameras has got me interested and it is something I plan to do sometime later down the track.

Now say I was going to install ~5 of these IP megapixel cameras around the house and make use of POE. Would it be alright to run these cables to the same patch panel as the other network cables I will be running?

So it would go:

PC network cables (Cat6) around the house (x12) + Cat6 cables in the ceilings and roofs inside/outside the house for the IP cameras (~x5) ->to ONE 24port patch panel.

If that is right, what happens after that.

Can I just buy a 24port switch that has POE and then plug all the cameras and PCs into the same switch? Is this secure/safe?

Sorry about the newb questions, just researching at the moment!

Hey mate,

You can take all your IP cams back to the main switch to make it easier to service in future, you will also need to have a POE switch to power the cameras as long as the cameras are POE.

a 1.3 Mega-pix cam will stream 24mb per second so times that by number of cameras to calculate type/size of POE switch to get.

if you wanted to record at D1 res then you would need a recording software that will support Mega-Pix cams, a decent software would cost around $400 AUD plus camera licenses.

good luck.

Hey mate,

You can take all your IP cams back to the main switch to make it easier to service in future, you will also need to have a POE switch to power the cameras as long as the cameras are POE.

a 1.3 Mega-pix cam will stream 24mb per second so times that by number of cameras to calculate type/size of POE switch to get.

if you wanted to record at D1 res then you would need a recording software that will support Mega-Pix cams, a decent software would cost around $400 AUD plus camera licenses.

good luck.

This is alittle high. Acti 1.3 megapixel cameras have a maximum bandwidth of 6megs with Arecont h.264 less then that.