winesmile

DVR/Camera Modulation Upgrade Questions

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advise on a project I'm involved in with an existing system that I'd like to upgrade.

My equipment:

4 Speco Cams

Everfocus EDSR4004

Channel Vision E2200IR

Channel Vision E4200IR

American Dynamics Multivision Duplex Miltiplex 16 ch.

NV-213a Vid Transceiver

Current Setup:

We have a number of small LCD displays in the house dedicated to our vid cameras (billiards room, entry, front/back,etc.). They are connected via RG6 to the antenna input and I turn to ch. 116 for billiards, 114 for entry, 118 for four cam. split, etc. I can then turn to say ch. 4 and watch NBC. Just the upper channels are dedicated vid cam channels.

What I need to do:

First I need to add a 5th camera w/audio in a "new" baby's room. I assume I'll need to upgrade my DVR to accommodate the additional cam?

Right now all I can do with the Everfocus DVR is view an individual camera or a 4 camera split. I'd like to be able to have a 2 camera split (to view the billiards and baby's rooms). Is there a way to customize cam splits? I find when you get anything more than 4 cams in a split the cam picture is to difficult to see.

A bit of education if you could:

I have a pretty good knowledge of straight forward camera/dvr design when the cameras connect directly to the dvr via rg59 (to a transformer) and then to a single monitor and ip. Or through a matrix switch to multi displays.

Could some of you educate me on how the multiplexor and channel vision, etc. works into my system. I'm not sure how the modulation process works and if anything other than the DVR needs to be upgraded to give me the results I'm looking for.

As always - thanks for your thoughts.

The problem with a two-camera split is that it won't fit the screen properly - you'd end up either with half of each camera, or with the two horribly stretched to fit. The only "normal" way to get two cameras on a screen is with a PiP (Picture-in-Picture) display. Otherwise, it needs to divide the screen up evenly: 2x2 (four channels), 3x3 (9 channels), or variations with one of two large views and several smaller ones (for example, imagine the screen split 3x3, then take the top-left four and combine them into one, leaving five more smaller displays).

From the sound of it, the multiplexor you've got isn't even being used (or if it is, it isn't actually needed for the setup you've described).

If you're modulating each camera onto a separate channel, do you really NEED to split-screen, or can you live with just flipping between channels? Most devices that give you a split-screen, BTW, will let you select which cameras are viewed on the matrix... so you could have a 2x2 display of, say, entry, front, back, and baby's room, and just skip the billiards room *for that display*.

You have six modulated channels available, so you could perhaps, put each of the five cameras on a channel (say, 110-115, for the sake of argument), then on 116 have the 2x2 split-screen.

If you want to RECORD all five channels, then you WILL need to upgrade your DVR; however, if there's one you want to display but don't need to record (say, billiards room), you can use the multiplexor to generate your split-screen while having only the four necessary cameras connected to the recorder...

Lots of different ways to go here, depending on your needs and priorities.

Soundy, thanks so much for such a detailed reply.

I understand your case about the access ratio issue with regard to the 1/1 split screen.

I have seen on a Pelco dvr the ability to have one large screen (upper left) and then smaller screens around. From what I can tell the Everfocus can't do that...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the multiplex used for? From the product description it sounds like a lot of things it does I don't really need - view live video while also recording, alarm events, etc.

But it is in the system and so I'm not sure why the installer (who is no longer in town!) put it in the system. I don't want to pull it all apart without knowing how or why it's in the system.

Thanks again for your help.

The one-big-and-smaller-around display is only suitable for larger (ie. more inputs) devices - I suppose they COULD make a four channel with a one-large/three-small display, but typically, you won't find layouts that require more channels to FILL than are available. What you describe, for example, would take six views to fill, so you wouldn't normally find such an option on a four-channel MUX. I have seen four-channel units that have one main full-screen view and three separate PiP windows in the corners for the other cameras... couldn't tell you what brand that was though, let alone the model.

As for a the purpose of a MUX... it does many different things, but the primary purpose is to generate the proper output for recording multiple channels on a time-lapse VCR. I don't know how familiar you are with the way a helical-scan VCR works, but briefly: the video heads are on a spinning drum that rakes the heads across the tape at an angle, which creates multiple short angled tracks along the length of the tape. With regular VHS systems, it's one frame of video per track.

What the MUX does, is output a different camera on each frame: one pass records camera 1, next pass records camera 2, and so on. If you hook up a monitor to the VCR OUT terminal, you'll see this as a rapid flipping between cameras. Similarly, if you plug a time-lapse tape into a standard VCR, you'll see the same thing. The second function of the MUX is to take that signal via the VCR IN port, and split it out again into individual, stable camera views so the user can then select individual views, or split-screen views to watch.

Beyond all that, it's still good for providing split-screen and sequenced views (and in fact, we regularly re-use old MUXes for just that purpose). Yours might be worth keeping around for that reason, as your DVR seems limited for that functionality. Most MUXes will have properly-loaded, daisy-chained inputs that allow you to run a camera into the input, then chain from the channel's output to your modulator, DVR, etc.

Get a MUX with that display option, is about the ONLY way. You could do it with a TV that does PiP, but you'd need to connect each camera to its own input on the TV then.

Soundy,

I've got another one for ya!

I need to add audio up in the baby's room (for monitor only - no need to record the audio).

I plan to put it up by the Speco camera.

What are you thoughts on the best way to set the audio up? I know Channel Vision and Speco make a mic, but they're both a bit clueless on how to connect and power it.

Thanks again for all your help.

that will work with the everfocus?

it will not work

Your DVR is only for Reg Analog camera

Plug n Play are network IP camera

if u want to know more about PnP IP Cam's sent me PM with your ph number

I will call back

Nevermind, forgot about the DVR you were using

If the DVR has one or more audio inputs, just about any mic you can get from Radio Shack will work... just make sure it's a dynamic mic, as condenser types will need a power supply.

I have the Speco cammic and it does need power.

Since I'm pulling RG-59 siamese I'm wondering if I can use that video (pull another along side what we're using for the camera) for the audio.