jalper

good quality dvr's

i'm looking for a good quality dvr, what do you think about h.264 hexaplex?

is this better then jpeg2000?

please answer

H.264 can provide some amazing playback video and speed of transmission, at the cost of extra processing power. You need to be careful. I've seen MPEG4 DVRs that provide better image quality and remote streaming than H.264, and offer more features simply because cheap H.264 machines are made with cheap processors. You still get the higher compression so it uses less HDD space, but, in my experience, its not worth the problems that arise from over working a processor not powerful enough for H.264.

H.264 can provide some amazing playback video and speed of transmission, at the cost of extra processing power. You need to be careful. I've seen MPEG4 DVRs that provide better image quality and remote streaming than H.264, and offer more features simply because cheap H.264 machines are made with cheap processors. You still get the higher compression so it uses less HDD space, but, in my experience, its not worth the problems that arise from over working a processor not powerful enough for H.264.

Good point. I have yet to notice any amount of improvement in picture quality over a MPEG4 DVR such as an EB1304NET SATA if the cameras are say, 420TVL domes or similar either. I think that unless you are going with higher end equipment the whole H.264 is more marketing than anything. But I stand to be corrected.....

There are some mighty cheap h.264 dvrs now, though.

H.264 is a standard of ITU-T in telcommunication, so the advantage of H.264 products is IP utility. So we can't compare them with MJPEG products in standalone use.